LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below!
 JustKeepStudying
|
Hey,

I know I'm missing something. I've read through the passage numerous times, and I cannot find any mention or hint of water-based transportation. I chose D, and I understand why that is wrong. I just didn't couldn't settle on a right answer. Why is B correct?

Thanks!
 nicholaspavic
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Just,

There are a lot of bad answers in this question and only one supportable one. I will direct you to lines 6-7 about the silt clogging the rivers and potentially the reference to recreation in the same line. That's enough to support the inference about what deforestation "can" do. Thanks for the great question good luck tomorrow! :-D
 lathlee
|
Thanl you so much for this answet which is architected to test the test takers skill to deal with initial/closing info answer capability with a hint of Misdirection/Hidden reference trap.
 VamosRafa19
|
I picked A, after eliminating all other answer choices. I see now that per the comment above B is supported by "prevent soil erosion that clogs rivers with silt", which I guess you're also supposed to make the leap that silt has a negative impact on water based transportation (what if you can still move through water fine with silt?). Anyway - after eliminating all the bad answers, I felt that A was slightly supported by "plant species yet to be discovered may contain agents with unique disease-fighting properties" which I realize is not perfect, but feels more supportable to me than B. If plants may have curative properties, then it's possible some diseases that affect plants affect humans. Could someone explain why B is better than A?
 Vasilia
|
VamosRafa19 wrote:I picked A, after eliminating all other answer choices. I see now that per the comment above B is supported by "prevent soil erosion that clogs rivers with silt", which I guess you're also supposed to make the leap that silt has a negative impact on water based transportation (what if you can still move through water fine with silt?). Anyway - after eliminating all the bad answers, I felt that A was slightly supported by "plant species yet to be discovered may contain agents with unique disease-fighting properties" which I realize is not perfect, but feels more supportable to me than B. If plants may have curative properties, then it's possible some diseases that affect plants affect humans. Could someone explain why B is better than A?
Hi, i picked the same wrong choice A, and since no one replied yet, i want to ask about the same question and add my own explanation here. A could be wrong for couple reasons: 1. Literally if as A said, "disease affect plant also affect human", i felt it's saying there is possibility that plant disease could transfer to human. Which is very opposite to the main idea of that paragraph and not supported as well. 2. The passage only said plants could have disease fighting property, not necessarily mean they have disease first, then own those properties. So answer choice A is not supported by the passage.

For the correct answer choice B, there are more support from the passage than A. Since the passage said forest "prevent soil erosion clogs river", so without forest, the soil might clog river, and by imagining river being clogged, the river bed could be raised and any boat or things transporting through the river could be stuck into the mud. Or a single part of river being clogged that blocked in the middle of a river. No additional information outside the passage needed to get to this answer compared to A.

Not sure if these are correct, but hopefully can be helpful in some aspect.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for the question, VamosRafa19, and the response, Vasilia! I think the support for B hinges on your understanding of the word "clog," which indicates a complete or near-complete stoppage of the flow of the river. If the river is clogged, nothing will move on it, or if it does move it will do so slowly and inefficiently. The water isn't just cloudy thanks to the silt, but effectively impassable. One dictionary definition of "clogged" is "filled up or crowded so as to obstruct passage," and that's all the support we need to select an answer about "negative effects on water-based transportation," even though such transportation was never mentioned in the passage.

And Vasilia, your breakdown of why A is incorrect is great! Think of it this way: aspirin can stop my headache, but that doesn't mean that whatever the aspirin came from suffered from headaches!
 lsatquestions
|
Hi, I now see why B is correct. Why is D not supported by the following lines: "Another claim made is that the preservation of biodiversity, the globe’s profusion of plant and animal species, requires a stricter policy to conserve forest, especially tropical rain forest. "
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
For one thing, the author ultimately challenges that claim, so the passage would not support that language but would disagree with it. For another, that does nothing to contrast or compare rainforests to other forests. Other types of forests are a complete unknown in this passage, and therefore may be the home to more, or fewer, or the same number of endangered species as in rain forests. Not only is this answer not strongly supported, it's not supported at all!

If you're unsure about that, here's a test: I hereby declare that there are five times as many internationally recognized endangered species in non-tropical forests than tropical rain forests.

Now, using only the text in the passage, prove me wrong. If you can't that's how you know that answer D is not supported!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.