LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Flaw in the Reasoning. The correct answer choice is C.

The art history professor's argument is a classic example of the "Source Argument" (i.e. ad hominem), in which the professor rejects a position, not on grounds related to the substance of that argument, but rather simply because the person advocating the position has behaved hypocritically with respect to that argument.

The professor rejects Costa's criticism of the professor's theories about different period styles of Austrian painting, a criticism Costa based on the lack of unique characteristics of any particular period's style. Rather than discuss whether there are or are not such unique characteristics, or whether or not such lack of unique characteristics is relevant to distinguishing a period's style, the art history professor premises the rejection of Costa on the fact that Costa has exhibited hypocrisy by presupposing "such an assignment" in Costa's own theories about French opera. Thus, we need to find an answer choice that describes a Source Argument flaw.

Answer Choice (A): There is no stated (or assumed) "necessary condition" for discounting a person's reasoning in the art history professor's argument, thus there is no possibility of confusing such a condition for a sufficient condition.

Answer Choice (B): The possibility stated in answer choice B has no effect on the art history professor's argument. Even if there's a possibility that theoreticians in some circumstances can hold radically different positions, that wouldn't shed any light on whether in this particular circumstance the deviation between Costa's criticism and his own practice gives reason to reject his criticism.

Answer Choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. This answer describes, though in a somewhat more subtle way than usual, the Source Argument flaw we prephrased. The art history professor does in fact reject the reasoning on which a criticism is based, because the professor says "[h]is reasoning can be discounted." The art history professor also bases this rejection merely on a statement about how Costa violated that reasoning in one of his own theories, which means Costa's very criticism could be applied to his own theories.

Answer Choice (D): The argument does not presume anything about art in general, nor does it apply such a presumption to "every particular type of art."

Answer Choice (E): Answer choice E is a subtle form of opposite answer. The art history professor assumes that Costa's theories about French opera can in fact provide a point of comparison for rejecting his reasoning about theories of Austrian painting. In other words, the art history professor thinks that "what's good for the goose (Costa, in theorizing about French opera) must be good enough for the gander (the art history professor, in theorizing about Austrian painting)." So, the presumption is that theories about one type of art can be compared to theories about another type of art.
 vbkehs
|
Between C and E, I just barely chose C because of its last words "...could be applied to the theories of the person who offered it." Functionally, I'm still not sure how C and E are distinct from one another - can you please clarify?
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi v!

We've posted a complete explanation above, but please let us know if you have remaining questions about answer choices C or E. Thanks!

Jeremy
 MayaPapaya
|
I'm a bit confused about crossing out D.

Art in general, I thought, was visible here: "Assigning works of art to period styles is intellectually bankrupt." I thought this could be taken as a general art principle.

I know "every particular type of art" is pretty strong and not relevant, but doesn't this answer choice communicate that the art history professor is rejecting a general claim and saying hey, what you say about art in general doesn't apply to certain kinds of art.

(I do understand that C characterizes the flaw more accurately though)
 Ryan Twomey
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Mayapapaya,

Well we have to distinguish between the Art History Professor's point of view and Costa. The question is asking us to find the flaw in the Art History Professor's point of view not Costa.

What you cited above, the art history professor did not say. That was Costa.

So the Art History Professor did not have a line of reasoning stating: what is true of Art in general is true of every type of art. If you struggled with this question, it is likely that you did not do a proper job of separating Costa and the Art History professor in your head.

Costa essentially stated that you can't separate periods because there is some overlap in the features between periods.

Art History professor stated: Costa's argument is poor, because he assigns periods. Aka the art history professor is criticizing Costa's argument for being hypocritical.

The Art history professor is making a third grade argument that powerscore books refer to as the source argument flaw (you could think of this as pointing out hypocrisy), and we are looking for that in our correct answer choice, which is C.

I hope this helps. As a reminder, for stimuluses that have multiple points of view, make sure you separate the speakers in your head or write them down.

Best,
Ryan
 pmuffley
|
Hello!

I totally got that this was an ad hominem argument. I was just confused about whether C or E was describing that flaw. I chose E incorrectly. I don't exactly know where to begin explaining how I'm confused so please bear with me.

Just as a totally unrelated example to try and show my thought process...this argument is like saying:

This guy says my ideas about the difference between newborns and toddlers is incorrect. His reasoning is that no toddlers and newborns share universal traits that only belong to themselves. We can ignore his reasoning though because he makes an argument about the difference between teenagers and adults that presuppose the same reasoning he rejects.

Is that a correct abstraction? Obviously this problem isn't about abstracting, but for the sake of this discussion I want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Second, my pre-phrase to a flaw question regarding this analogy would be... just claiming the critic holds an inconsistent view isn't enough to tear his argument down.

Please help. This practice test was unusually hard for me.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I think your analogous argument looks pretty good, pmuffley, and your recognition that this was an ad hominem flaw (which we also call a Source Argument) puts you in the perfect position to select answer C. The problem with answer E is that it has nothing to do with attacking the person making the argument! Since it doesn't resemble your prephrase, you should confidently cross it out!

The reason answer E is incorrect is that the argument did NOT make any such presumption about different types of art. A correct answer to a Flaw in the Reasoning question must accurately describe something that happened in the argument, and that thing must be relevant in some way that causes a problem for the author. Since there was no such presumption, answer E isn't true, and is therefore not describing a flaw in this argument.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.