LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below!
 Boomer
|
Hi,

Can you help me explain why B is wrong and E is right. Is it because "high in calories" is not the same as "rich in calories" and because of the large sufficient quantity consumed" doesn't account for those who eat nuts regularly? I got this wrong to trying to learn from my mistakes.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Happy to help, Boomer! The problem with B isn't about high vs rich. The problem is that it tells us nothing about comparing those who eat nuts to those who do not eat them. The paradox is that nut eaters are less likely to be overweight than those who don't eat them, even though nuts are high in calories and eating more calories tends to cause people to be overweight.

To resolve this paradox, you need to see what makes nut eaters so darn special! What sets them apart from others? What are they doing to counteract the effect of eating high calorie nuts? Only answer E gives us something to set them apart - nuts don't make you feel hungry, but other foods do. So it seems reasonable then that people who are NOT eating nuts are more likely to eat things that make them want to eat even more, making those people more likely to eat more and become overweight.

In short, B tells us nothing about how nut eaters are special or different. It does not make us go "oh, okay, so THAT's why they aren't overweight!"
 Boomer
|
Adam Tyson wrote:Happy to help, Boomer! The problem with B isn't about high vs rich. The problem is that it tells us nothing about comparing those who eat nuts to those who do not eat them. The paradox is that nut eaters are less likely to be overweight than those who don't eat them, even though nuts are high in calories and eating more calories tends to cause people to be overweight.

To resolve this paradox, you need to see what makes nut eaters so darn special! What sets them apart from others? What are they doing to counteract the effect of eating high calorie nuts? Only answer E gives us something to set them apart - nuts don't make you feel hungry, but other foods do. So it seems reasonable then that people who are NOT eating nuts are more likely to eat things that make them want to eat even more, making those people more likely to eat more and become overweight.

In short, B tells us nothing about how nut eaters are special or different. It does not make us go "oh, okay, so THAT's why they aren't overweight!"

Got it! Thanks Adam!
 jdleggett
|
I also chose B. Confusing because E seems realistically illogical. I guess potato chips or candy make you want to eat more of them... but "stimulates a hunger response" is such a needlessly convoluted way of expressing that sentiment :ras:

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.