LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

MillsV
|
Hi, for this one I chose A. I saw that the stimulus is a mistaken reversal and A was a mistaken negation, but I thought that since those two mistakes are contrapositives of each other like it states in the powerscore books, that A showed a parallel to the stimulus. So, will a contrapositive of the correct parallel flaw always be incorrect?
Claire Horan wrote:
(E) is diagrammed as follows:
Premise 1: OD :arrow: DHIR
Premise 2: DHIR
Conclusion: OD

This is a classic Mistaken Reversal. The flawed logical step was: DHIR :arrow: OD.
For E, I have a hard time drawing the diagram. To me, the premise can be drawn as Detection—> outbreak, and the conclusion has the same diagram. I do not see the sufficient or necessary indicator in the premise. Could you please explain why the diagram is the other way around?
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
HI MillsV!

You are correct that the Mistaken Reversal and Mistaken Negation are contrapositives of each other and so are logical equivalents. But in a Parallel question, we really want the argument to match the structure as much as possible. That means that if you have a Mistaken Reversal in the stimulus, you want a Mistaken Reversal in the answer choice and if you have a Mistaken Negation in the stimulus, you want a Mistaken Negation in the answer choice. This is because even though the underlying logic is flawed in a similar way, the author is using different evidence to prove a different conclusion. In the Mistaken Reversal, the author is taking evidence that the necessary occurs to conclude that the sufficient occurs. In the Mistaken Negation, the author is taking evidence that the sufficient condition did not occur to conclude that the necessary condition did not occur. Yes, in both of these the author is mistaking the sufficient for the necessary condition. But the way in which the evidence is used to support the conclusion is different. In Parallel questions, we need the evidence to support the conclusion in the same way.

For answer choice (E), "all" is a sufficient condition indicator. In the first sentence, "all" modifies "outbreaks" so you would diagram the first sentence as: outbreaks :arrow: detection

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 MillsV
|
Thank you so much Kelsey!
 sicm91
|
Hi! I may be overthinking this, but isn't saying that the river will overflow an incorrect assumption since perhaps this year may be different? In other words, just because it happened before doesn't mean it will happen again?
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
sicm,

Yes, that's correct; answer choice (B) is flawed. Because it's not flawed the same way as the stimulus, it's incorrect.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.