LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below!
 sydnew
|
I kept going back and forth between B and C and unfortunately changed my answer to B :(

I still don't quite see how B is wrong, however. Is it because we can't say for certain that the athletes will lack the concentration? We are only told why the athletes who love the sport have the concentration needed?

Thanks!
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi sydnew,

Thanks for the question! The key to ruling out B is noticing that it says adequate vision. We have no idea how much vision would be adequate; it is possible everyone has adequate vision and it is just that athletes who play for the love of the sport have more-than-adequate vision.

Hope that helps!
 sydnew
|
ahhh, got it. Thank you!
 g_lawyered
|
Hi P.S.,
Although I answered this question correctly, when reviewing it I noticed the Analytics classified this question to have Casual Reasoning "CE". As I review it, I don't see any casual word indicators that jump out to me to solve this as a casual question. Can someone please point out where the causality is in the statements?
Instead, I solved this question by somewhat linking the traits of the athletes who played for love of sport. As follows:
Play for love of sport :arrow: sharp vision :arrow: attention to activity.

Is this, in a way, the causality in the statements? Any clarification would help.

Thanks in advance!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
HI GGIBA003,

They use the term "because" in the stimulus here, which tells us this is a causal relationship. Their vision was sharper "because" of the necessary concentration. It may be that you just overlooked that term when you were taking the test. It can be easy to overlook a single word when reading. One thing that always helps me is to use my finger to run under the text to make sure I don't let me eyes skip over a critical term.

Hope that helps!
 g_lawyered
|
Hi Rachael,
I didn't think "Because" was one of the word indicators for necessary condition? I always learned from the list in the P.S. Lesson Book. Is there somewhere else I can review this in?

Thanks in advance!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
"Because" indicates causal reasoning, not conditional, and you should not approach this stimulus using conditional analysis or diagramming. The author believes that greater focus on what the athlete is doing causes sharper vision, and that this causal relationship explains why those who play for love of their sport have sharper vision. Stick with a causal analysis and don't force a conditional framework on it!
 g_lawyered
|
I misread what Rachael stated. Thank you for the clarification.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.