LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi t_m6289,

With the terms "right" and "wrong," you should always negate by adding the term "not," rather than substituting the terms for one another. So, in a contrapositive, you're only justified in going from "right" to "not right," and from "wrong" to "not wrong." My rule of thumb (which does seem to be tested quite often in principle questions!) is that if the terms are different, don't assume they're logical opposites.

I hope this helps!

Jeremy
 goingtosomewhere
|
Could someone explain why C was incorrect? Is it because the harm that Judy could cause is a part of the necessary condition for something to be morally wrong and isn't sufficient?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
There are at least two problems with answer C, goingtosomewhere. First, there is no indication that Judy promised not to reveal the secret. Second, there is no indication that revealing the secret was likely to result in harm to someone. THus, neither sufficient condition has been met, so we cannot conclude that the necessary condition (morally wrong) has been met. Our rules have no application to this situation.

And to clarify, "morally wrong to reveal a secret " is the necessary condition in that second principle, not the sufficient condition. The sufficient conditions of promise and harm are introduced by the sufficient condition indicator word "if".
 longlsat
|
Can someone provide guidance on when we can combine the conditionals, for example in this case combining the first and second sentence can it permissible that:

morally right to reveal a secret = morally wrong to reveal a secret

From the first sentence: morally right to reveal a secret :arrow: one has a legal obligation to do so + will not harm oneself by doing so

From the second sentence:
one has promised not to reveal + revealing is likely to result in any harm to others :arrow: morally wrong to reveal a secret
The contrapositive of it becomes:
morally wrong to reveal a secret :arrow: one has promised not to reveal OR revealing is likely to result in any harm to others

I feel like I've seen cases where these shifts are valid, but in other cases they are not logically valid?
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi longlsat!

Jeremy's comment above seems pretty on point to your question:

With the terms "right" and "wrong," you should always negate by adding the term "not," rather than substituting the terms for one another. So, in a contrapositive, you're only justified in going from "right" to "not right," and from "wrong" to "not wrong." My rule of thumb (which does seem to be tested quite often in principle questions!) is that if the terms are different, don't assume they're logical opposites.
In other words, avoid making assumptions about moral wrongness just from a statement about moral rightness, and vice versa.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.