LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post your questions below!
 kyunglt
|
Hi. Can someone please post the answer and explanation here. Thank
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The question asks us to identify an impossible list of students in the M group. The correct answer was (E).

If we were to place Rita and Wendy in the M group, then we would also need to place both of them in the S group, because of the third rule. Placing Rita and Wendy in the S group would then violate the second rule, which stated that if Rita is in the S group, Wendy is not.
 g_lawyered
|
Hi P.S.
When doing this timed PT, I narrowed down the contenders to answer choice A and E. Now I see why answer choice is a MBF (Breaks Rule 2). However, I'm trying to understand how answer choice A is a CBT (the wrong answer). I came up with 2 templates in which A CBT. Can someone let me know if these templates prove that A is incorrect? Are they correct? Since there aren't any maximum number of times the variables can go (it only states "at least once"), does that mean that a variable can go 3 times? In that scenario, see my template #2.

M: R, G
J: W
S: R

OR

2. R can go in all 3?
M: R
J: W, G, R
S: R

Can someone please clarify? Thanks in advance!
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
GGIBA003,

Your first diagram doesn't work - anything on M must be on S. The second diagram looks good.

Anything not prohibited is permitted. If the scenario, rules, and inferences do not prevent a variable from being in every group, then it can be in every group.

Robert Carroll
 g_lawyered
|
Robert,
Thanks for clarifying that up. Since I didn't spot Numerical Distribution for this game, it was hard to determine the minimum/maximum variables per student (grouping). Which is why I didn't have clear understanding whether the variable could go in all 3 students. Did I miss something here? Any tips on how to ID Maximum/Minimum in games like these that aren't determined by Numerical Distribution?

Thanks in advance!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Always think about the numerical issues in every game, GGIBA003 ! "Think about the numbers" is part of the mantra I coach all of my students to internalize as a part of their attack on every logic game.

The clues are in the scenario, where it says "one or more" and "at least one." As soon as those concepts are raised, you should be asking yourself "how many more could there be?" and "if one is the minimum, what's the maximum?" If you are trying to figure out a maximum, start big - ask yourself things like "could one of these people do all three topics?" and "could all three people do the same topic?" And if you are trying to figure out a minimum, start small by asking yourself about the prospect of zero (which is often overlooked as a possibility). In this case, there can be no zeroes - every student has to do "one or more" presentations and every topic has "at least one" presentation - so start with "what if it's just one?" and take it from there.

Always, with every game, at some point during the setup of the main diagram you should think about the numbers.
 g_lawyered
|
Hi Adam,
I was able to ID that the minimum was 1 because of the "at least 1 presentation" in the game setup. I waited until I got through the rules, to determine whether there was a maximum. In this case, because of rule 2, I didn't think it was possible for a variable to go in all 3 groups.

Because there was a minimum and maximum rule for this game, is there a Numerical Distribution in the diagram that I missed? The work I did in the Local questions fluctuated the number of variables per group, so I assumed there wasn't a Numerical Distribution diagram for this game. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The second rule tells us about one group, but doesn't restrict any particular variable, so it tells us nothing about whether one of the students could present on all three topics. Don't make assumptions that are not warranted by the rules!

I did not approach this with a numeric distribution, but there are still numbers to be considered, and when the numbers aren't fixed you should always think of ways to push them to their extremes. Go for the biggest group you can think of and see what happens! Try to use a variable as many times as you can and see what that does! Push things around in this way to learn the limits and possibilities within the game, and you will be rewarded when you get to the questions.
 g_lawyered
|
In this grouping game, I shouldn't make an assumption about the variables grouped in rule 1 either, correct? Thanks for the feedback Adam!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.