LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

The third rule stipulates that M must be presented earlier than both O and P. The question stem then establishes that P is presented at 2 PM. Thus, combining this information and the third rule, we can conclude that M must be presented earlier than 2 PM, which only leaves 1 PM. This is what answer choice (B) states, and thus (B) is correct.

Answer choice (A): G could be presented at 3 PM, but as this hypothetical shows, does not have to be:
For example, we could sort the variables as follows:

West: M, P, S
East: U, G, O

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C): O could be presented at 2 PM, but as this hypothetical shows, does not have to be:
For example, we could sort the variables as follows:

East: U, G, O

Answer choice (D): While S could be presented at 1 PM, it does not have to be. The group of available variables for 1 PM consists of M, S, and U. M can be presented in either the East or West theater, and depending on where M is played, the other theater will present S or U. Thus, either S or U could be presented at 1, but neither must be presented at 1.

Answer choice (E): While S could be presented at 1 PM, it does not have to be. The group of available variables for 1 PM consists of M, S, and U. M can be presented in either the East or West theater, and depending on where M is played, the other theater will present S or U. Thus, either S or U could be presented at 1, but neither must be presented at 1.

This hypothetical shows that U does not have be presented at 1PM:

West: S P G

East: M U O
 yusrak
|
Hi Powerscore,

I understand that M has to be at 1, but S must also be at 1 as well right? I am confused as to why the answer choices have 2 options which both must be true (choices B and D).

My reasoning:

If P = 2 then M must be 1 because M must come before P and O. Since M = 1, U must be 2 since U can only go in slot 1 and 2. O/G must go in slot 3 since both must come after M. That leaves S to be in 1 in the West Theatre.

Oh wait, is answer choice B (M = 1) correct because it is the first thing that must be true when P = 2 before I figure out the rest of the set up? So although answer choice D (S = 1) also must be true, it is not what is immediately true when P = 2, correct?

Thanks,
Yusra
 Christen Hammock
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Yusra!

Answer Choice (D) does not have to be true. For example, we could sort the variables as follows:

East: U, O, G

Here, S is at 3pm in the West theater, U is in the East theater, O and P both go after M, and U comes before G—all the rules are followed, but S is not at 1pm!
 AddictedToSoup
|
Hi I'm replying to Christian, I think there's a mistake since U can't be in the West. East and West should be reverse.

I have it set up as

West: M P S
East: U (O/G)

My question is, why couldn't E be the answer (U must be in 1:00)?
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi addictedtosoup,

Good pick up. I'll answer you and have now altered that mistaken post.

Regarding answer choice (E) why would U have to be at 1:00? We know it's either 1 or 2, but it's completely possible that it's at 2 in the East.

West: S P G

East: M U O

That means that U doesn't HAVE to go first.

For answer choice (B) however, M has to be at 1. Why? We don't even need to draw it out. M must be before both P and O. P is at 2. The only option then is for M to be at 1.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.