LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post below with any questions!
 swong1267
|
Why is the answer A? I crossed it off because of "ironically." I chose D instead, because I thought the author would find that surprising.
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi swong1267,

For A, it is ironic, because some of the critics were the records companies! See lines 30-35 or so. Does that make sense?

For answer D, can you explain what from the passage made you think it was a good fit? That can help me tailor my answer to you. :)
 mjb514
|
How do we know the author would not agree with E?
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
mjb,

There is no indication in the passage that the number of new CDs alone was a problem. Even the critics do not charge this. The nature of the music is something that has led to some criticism - the number of CDs is not an issue.

Robert Carroll
 oli_oops
|
Hello,

I did not choose A because I couldn't find in the passage anything that's supporting "that is more rigid than that attributed to Marsalis by critics". I did find answers B through E all talking about something not really mentioned in the passage. Though I chose D instead of A because I couldn't really verify A.
Can someone please explain why A is correct in a more thorough way?

Thank you!!

oli
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi oiloops,

Good question!

The bulk of your answer can be found in the second to last paragraph (and right above it). In that paragraph, the author discusses how and why Marsalis put so much emphasis on the past. He wanted to use the past to push the genre forward by building on the work of past masters. But, and here is where the irony comes in, by elevating past masters, Marsalis actually made it harder for the new jazz musicians to innovate. Record labels saw how popular the past musicians were and stopped putting out records by new artists. By trying to push the genre forward in a classical way, Marsalis ended up freezing the genre in it's tracks.

All of this can be found in the second to last paragraph.

Hope that helps!
Rachael

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.