LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post below with any questions!
 Khodi7531
|
Confused on this one.

I knew B was reverse causality and I was between A B C. C I chose and I see the conclusion is talking about brain structure while the evidence is a correlation between skilled musicians - but I was thinking he goes from speaking about piano to drawing a broader conclusion about musical instruments (left out brain structure in my thinking even though I was aware).

But how can I get rid of A?

I mean the author does infer A. He uses pianists to conclude that all musical instruments alter brain structure. I realize there is the correlation to cause that's popping out moreso, but still not as easy to get rid of A as these forums have said.

Anyone can help with this?
 Malila Robinson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Khodi7531,
Since this is a Flaw question we need the answer choice to describe something that is specifically laid out in the argument. Answer A is more of a possible flaw than an absolute flaw. You stated that "He uses pianists to conclude that all musical instruments alter brain structure." But the argument says: "...This shows that practicing on, and playing, a musical instrument actually alters brain structure." Technically, the only instrument the argument is referring to is the piano. It is possible that the argument is trying to make a more general statement about all instruments, but since this is a flaw we are not looking for possible errors, we are looking for errors that are specifically stated within the stimulus.

As you stated, the error here is causal. The author assumes: Cause- Being a highly skilled musician (through practice), Effect- Enlarged area of the brain. But it could have been the reverse: Cause- Enlarged area of the brain, Effect- Being a highly skilled musician (through practice). This leads to Answer B.

Hope that helps!
-Malila

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.