LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

hadimadi
|
Hi,

I feel like the assumptions to make (D) the right choice are too far. What if you only consistently report a higher amount of exercise than your peers only if you know you see yourself, and not someone very similar to yourself?

If we can assume that twins are nearly similar, or similar in the relevant aspects (looks, etc.), then we inherently assume that knowing that you really see yourself, and not someone similar in the mentioned aspects, is irrelevant to this study.

And this is where for me, it goes too far from being accurrate...

I chose (E), as it is additional evidence that people who watch themselves doing something tend to report in general higher average hours of exercise than their peers, and it is unlikely that they always are really doing that activity for longer than their peers on average.

Please help me to understand where I went wrong

Thanks Guys!
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
hadimadi,

But if the stimulus has a problem that there is a difference between people actually exercising more and people merely reporting that they exercised more, answer choice (E) has that exact same problem. It doesn't weaken the argument - it provides another situation where watching themselves doing an activity can cause people to report doing that activity more. But, as in the stimulus, if they're actually doing the activity more, that's what the argument is trying to prove! So the exact same question arises for answer choice (E) as for the stimulus - was it an increase in reporting only or in reporting and doing? Answer choice (E) doesn't address that, and nothing in it makes it more plausible that they overestimated than that they correctly reported!

In fact, only answer choice (D) involves that overreporting issue we want!

Robert Carroll
 hadimadi
|
Hi Robert,

thanks for your answer, but I don't think it went into what I pointed out:

(E) is, just as you said, just another case of people tending to report higher amounts of an activity when watching themselves doing it than peers. So yes, it is nothing new, however, if we assume this to be the consistent pattern, meaning that people always report higher hours of a specific exercise when they watch themselves doing it as compared to peers, we can conclude that that it is highly unlikely that they also REALLY do more of that exercise than their peers

Also, your answer doesn't explain the deficiencies of (D) that I pointed out, namely that we have to make these hard assumptions as I mentioned before.

I get that when making these assumptions, (D) is perfect because it talks about overreporting, which is a strong counter.

Thanks for always taking the time to reply!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
As I see it, hadimadi, answer E doesn't weaken the argument because it shows a similar outcome as in the stimulus. If anything, that might strengthen the argument, although it seems too vague to be of any real help. The problem with that answer is that it raises no doubts about the original conclusion. Were these people (in answer E) more sedentary than the others, or did they just claim to be? Answer E fails to answer to that question, and so we cannot say whether this answer weakens the argument.

Answer D requires no assumptions about similarities between watching oneself and watching your identical twin. As annoying as that difference may be, it is, in my view, irrelevant to the core issue, which is that answer D indicates that in at least some cases, self-reporting is not reliable. If self-reporting cannot be trusted in that case, why should we trust it in the case described in the stimulus, or in any other case? Pointing out ANY case where self-reporting was inaccurate should be enough, by itself, to at least raise the spectre of bad data in the instant case. It would force the author of the argument to either admit that there could be a problem with their data, or else defend their argument by giving us some reason to believe that there was no similar problem in their study. If the author is forced to defend themselves or else concede, and they cannot simply shrug it off and say "so what, who cares?", then the answer is an attack on their argument. It weakens it, even if only a little.

This is a killer question, primarily because of the "twins/self" difference between the two cases, but that difference is, in my view, nothing but a distraction intended to confuse us. It does that extremely well, as evidenced by how many questions we continue to get about it, and it comes up with every student I speak to who has taken this practice test. This will likely go down as one of the most hated LR questions of all time, and rightfully so!
 Cmoeckel
|
I've read through all the responses here and I think what they're missing is the real question which is between weighing ways to attack casualty.

C. This is a classic cause without the effect. They watch a record of themselves exercising but they are not motivated to exercise more.
D. Data attack. Calling into question the self reporting data the author bases their casual connection on.

I was tight on time and so immediately chose C (I know big mistake) and didn't even look at D. In looking back, I see why the data attack might be stronger here ("overreported by a significant amount") vs. the cause without the effect, especially because causal relationship in stimulus is a "can". So my question for you guys...if the "can" was absent from last sentence (i.e. just watching a recording motivates participants to exercise more), they would most probably not have both of these answers right?
 atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
At a fundamental level, your characterization of C is correct, my view of C is that we actually have the effect already present.

In other words, those individuals didn't increase their exercise time because they were already highly motivated. This is because the Cause and Effect here is really twofold. There's watching yourself causes you to become have higher motivation, and then because you were more highly motivated, you are now exercising more. In answer choice C, we are taking away the delta of the higher motivation, because that delta is limited in the sample size we're dealing with. These people are already highly motivated, therefore, we can assume (or at least I did when I read this) that there is a law of diminishing returns here at play. You are already at top motivation, so you're not getting substantially **more** motivated by watching yourself. When reading this answer choice, one can almost characterize it as one that strengthens the argument in a way, by demonstrating that motivation was indeed a key factor possibly in the change in running time.

Now in terms of answer choice D, here it implies, and I use this word loosely (this is not my favorite question or answer choice), that there is a motivation, upon viewing "yourself" perform an activity, to "report" subsequent progress on that activity whether or not you honestly engaged upon said progress. This calls into the question the validity of the conclusion by calling into the question the veracity of the reports. In other words, the proposed Cause and Effect relationship is destroyed because there is a potential problem with the data. Problems with data are relatively, but this is a good example of a sneaky one, and I think if you are clear on why D is correct, hopefully that helps with why C is not correct, to the extent that you have questions on the above.

And per usual, ask away!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.