LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

nrpandolfo
|
Can you explain answer E? I got this by process of elimination but still don't understand the meaning.

Is it saying that the evidence of fMRI doesn't dispute the claim that the brain functions as one, rather than localized modules becuase an fMRI only shows broad areas of oxygen use in the brain?
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi NR,

The argument made in the passage is that the modular theory of the mind is incorrect and not proven by fMRI, because fMRI is a flawed measurement that shows only the difference from a baseline in oxygen usage in certain parts of the brain, not the raw amount of oxygen used in the various parts of the brain. It does so because, according to the passage, it is based upon a flawed assumption that the difference shown represents the total amount of brain energy spent on a certain cognitive task. The author argues this is flawed because the entire brain remains active, and simply because certain areas use more oxygen than normal during a certain cognitive task doesn't mean that is the only part of the brain being used on that task.

This argument is what (E) is referencing in abstract form. Paragraph 2 argues against the modular theory of the mind, and paragraph 3 describes fMRI, the main evidence presented for the modular theory of the mind. The last paragraph then attacks the efficacy of fMRI, and thus the plausibility of the modular theory.

Hope this helps!
 pmuffley
|
Is B wrong because the author doesn't want to modify the modular theory of mind - he doesn't even think it is correct, right?

I got this correct on review, but was just curious as to why my original answer was wrong so I can rule others like it out in the future.

Thanks!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I think that sums up the problem with answer B nicely, pmuffley. Good work!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.