LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post below with any questions!
 gweatherall
|
Is there a sure way to decide between A and D on this? I chose D, but was close to choosing A. Thanks!
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi G,

With the comparative passages, it helps to make a small diagram of aspects that appear in both passages and aspects that appear in only one of the passages. In addition, clearly marking the main point of each passage, and how they relate to one another is critical to answering the questions correctly.

For question 14, a main point question, distinguishing between answer choices (A) and (D) is made easier when we look directly at the main points of each passage and how they relate. Passage A argues that insider trading is actually beneficial for stock markets and therefore shouldn't be illegal, while Passage B says that insider trading is not just bad for stock markets but can cause disastrous results for the economy as a whole. Comparing the two, they have diametrically opposed views on the merits of insider trading.

Answer choice (A) is effectively neutral, positing that the two passages are fundamentally interested in only the "definition" of insider trading, not its effects, while answer choice (D) claims the two passages are concerned mainly with whether insider trading is good or bad. While both passages do define insider trading, they do so only to then argue on its behalf (Passage A) or against it (Passage B). The definition is not what either passage's argument is concerned with; both conclude with a value judgement, one good, one bad, about insider trading.

The only surefire way to correctly answer a question like this correctly is to identify the conclusions of both passages and their point of disagreement, then find the answer that most closely corresponds to that point of disagreement. Prephrasing can be extremely helpful, quickly eliminating the answer choices that don't reflect the main point of both passages.

Hope this helps!
 gweatherall
|
Thanks, James! This is helpful. Oddly, although RC in general is doable for me, I often have a hard time with main point type questions because I can't always solidly back them up with text and instead have to make something of a "leap of faith".

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.