LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post below with any questions!
 dtodaizzle
|
For (A), neither passages do this right? Don't know why, but I picked (A) on the actual exam :(
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi dtodaizzle,

Yep, you're right. This might just be a case of the timed pressure getting to you a little bit as you felt the need to answer quickly without fully thinking it through!
 ChicaRosa
|
Is B correct because it's pointing out how controversial (insider-trading) activity is similar to uncontroversial activities (stock market) while Passage B does the opposite?

I didn't choose B because the word controversial throw me off.

Thanks!
 AnnBar
|
Hello,

What exactly are the controversial v. uncontroversial activities answer choice B refers to?

Thank you
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey there, Chica and AnnBar! Chica, you got it exactly right, and AnnBar, see ChicaRosa's question to answer your own. The controversial activity is insider trading and the uncontroversial activity is ordinary stock brokering. The author seeks to show that insider trading is sufficiently similar to normal stock brokering that it should not only be allowed, but should be considered a valuable tool in the stock market. Interesting argument!
 eronquillo12
|
Hi- I chose C, but I am not quite sure why it is wrong. Is it because Passage B also does this?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Correct, eronquillo! Passage B also talks about consequences, such as unfair competition, loss of confidence in the market, loss of funding for companies, and widespread financial repercussions. Since they both talk about it, but the question asks which one A does and B does NOT do, we can eliminate answer C from consideration.

Well done figuring that out! It's important that we learn from those errors so that we can better avoid them in the future. Don't worry about having gotten it wrong before - be glad that you now know why and won't fall for that sort of thing again!
 nrpandolfo
|
Why is A wrong? I was stuck between A and B.

But with A, in passage A, it seems the author makes some general principles such as "stock markets work best when all relevant information about a company is spread as widely..."

And then provides an example in the next paragraph about someone selling a stock.

Thanks
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi nrpandolfo,

Be careful of the "half-right, half-wrong" answer choices. While passage A could be said to apply general principles to specific examples, as you note, passage B also does this, beginning by applying the principle of transparency to stock market transactions (including insider trading). As the question stem is explicitly seeking out a method present in passage A but not passage B, answer choice (A) is only half-right; both passages contain principles applied to specific examples.

Answer choice (B), on the other hand, correctly identifies the analogies between permitted and prohibited activities as
present in passage A but not passage B, making it the correct answer choice.

Hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.