LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post below with any questions!
 brcibake
|
I think I misunderstood this passage because the answer I picked (E) and the answer I picked for 7 (C) were discussing the same topic of traveling back to the south to help people move north. What type of question is this and can this be solved using the fact test or any other system.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
This is a "Most Strongly Supported" question, brcibake, which is a form of Must Be True question, so you can definitely apply the fact test and rely on the text in the passage to prove your answer choice. That doesn't mean you will always find a direct quote that says exactly what the answer choice says, though. Rather, it means that you will find text that supports that answer, which could mean that you are putting ideas together to make a new inference.

Answer E is a loser because it violates that fact test. Nowhere does the passage say, or even suggest, that "most" early migrants made at least one trip back south, nor does it ever say, or even suggest, that the reason they were going back to their home communities was to provide help and information. For all we know, based on this text, they were going back to gather some belongings they had left behind, or to attend weddings and birthday celebrations, or just to spend social time with friends and family. All we know is that at least some early migrants went back south and then, when going north again, brought new migrants north with them.

Answer C is supported by the text found at the opening of the second paragraph, which is further informed by the entirety of the first paragraph. This is where we learn about the various factors that caused the Great Migration to begin in 1915, all of which contributed to the income gap.

Be picky about these answers, and do not accept an answer in support for which you can not find any specific text. Every word matters, and "most" requires proof of more than half.
 ashpine17
|
I understand how this choice states the first and third reasons for the great migration BUT this issue I had with it was the fact that it mentioned the north south income gap. how was i supposed to be able to tie these two concepts together? is it because this is an mss question? the passage never explicitly stated that the income gap was caused by the increase in demand in the north and decrease in demand for labor in the south
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
ashpine,

The passage explicitly states that the changes in demand in the first paragraph led to the widening gap in the first sentence of the second paragraph.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.