LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post below with any questions!
 brcibake
|
What is the reasoning behind this answer. I thought it was B and I am not sure were I went wrong.
 nicholaspavic
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi brci,

The correct answer is Answer (B):

"Jury decisions in cases involving expert witness testimonies are not always determined by the reliability of those testimonies."

This answer choice for this Must Be True question passes the Fact Test and it therefore the right answer. I hope this was good news!
:-D
 emilyjmyer
|
Hi!

Why is the answer B and not C?

I realized that the words "not always" made for an attractive MBT answer choice but I still went with C.

I chose C because in the stimulus it describes

experts give testimony --> jurors don't understand technical info --> can't evaluate info

I thought C was a contrapositive: Jurors can evaluate info--> jurors do understand technical info

Where did I go wrong here?

Thanks!
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
emilyjmyer,

Answer choice (C) doesn't talk about understanding the information. It talks about assessing the legal implications, which is not discussed in the stimulus.

Additionally, it looks like what you diagramming shows answer choice (C) to be closer to a Mistaken Negation than anything else. Your diagram of the stimulus has "not understanding" and "not evaluate" as separate conditions. So in answer choice (C), the sufficient condition would be "understand" anyway. Your diagram of answer choice (C) doesn't match the conditionality of it anyway. Hope this helps!

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.