LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post below with any questions!
 canoekoh
|
Hi, I understand why A is correct. But when I try negating B, that also seems to make the argument fall apart. If the moth DOES have the speed and agility to escape from potential predators, it wouldn't be in danger of extinction.

Can someone help me avoid doing this kind of mental second-guessing myself?
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
canoekoh wrote:Hi, I understand why A is correct. But when I try negating B, that also seems to make the argument fall apart. If the moth DOES have the speed and agility to escape from potential predators, it wouldn't be in danger of extinction.

Can someone help me avoid doing this kind of mental second-guessing myself?

Hello canoekoh,

No, answer B is not necessarily true. Even if the moths were fast and agile enough to escape potential predators, say, everyone has a sick day, so maybe the moths need to have the toxin around on days when they don't feel fast or agile.
It's not bad to "second-guess" or analyze closely, as long as it's done correctly!

Hope this helps,
David
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Assumption. The correct answer choice is (A)

This remarkable Assumption question presented an early challenge on this LR section. The strong assumption required by the argument may have caught test-takers off-guard, but with clarity about the conclusion and the support offered, an accurate and precise prephrase is possible. In fact, this question is an excellent test of your understanding of the logical structure of LSAT arguments.

To wit, begin with the conclusion: The leopard magpie moth faces extinction.

Why?
  1. It feeds on a certain kind of grass.
  2. This grass makes it disgusting to predators.
  3. This grass faces extinction.
Let's engage with this argument on its merits. How could it be possible that the moth might not face extinction even though its grassy defense might disappear? Perhaps it could find another way to make itself unsavory. What's necessary for the author to conclude that this moth faces extinction because the grass faces extinction? The moth must not have another defense mechanism.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. If you knocked this out because it referred to the "only" way the moth can make itself unpalatable to predators, don't beat yourself up. However, this actually is a necessary, unstated belief. Do the Assumption Negation Test. If there were another way the moth could make itself unpalatable, would it still face extinction? No. Therefore this is an assumption required by the argument.

Answer choice (B): Perhaps one of the most visually amusing LSAT answer choices of all time, this choice conjures up images of acrobatic caterpillars with daring escapes from ravenous birds. Unfortunately, it was not to be. Is it actually necessary that the Leopard Magpie Moth lack the the agility to escape any of its predators? No, perhaps it might be agile enough to escape from some sad, torpid toad.

Answer choice (C): A "who-cares" answer choice if ever there were one, this choice just fills up that awkward middle answer choice position. Among other problems, this answer choice brings in outside assumptions about visual cues for predators. It's also strongly worded and flunks the Assumption Negation Test.

Answer choice (D): Premised on a misreading of the premises, this is a terrific trap answer choice. This choice invites students to wonder whether the caterpillar might be able to find Natal grass even if this grass has become scarce. The problem is the Natal grass faces not just scarcity but extinction. Even if the caterpillars have a Natal grass radar, it's not going to help them if the grass disappears.

Answer choice (E): Like (C), this is another "whoa that's a strong statement" answer choices. What if some of the predators have developed a tolerance to the toxin? Might the Leopard Magpie Moth still face extinction because of the absence of the Natal grass? Certainly. This answer choice comes out of left field, and you should send it back where it came from.
 ksikanon
|
Hi there,

A question on negation: should (B) be negated to read:

(1) The leopard magpie moth DOES have the speed or agility to escape from any of its predators, or
(2) The leopard magpie moth does not have the speed or agility to escape from SOME of its predators?

Thanks!
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi ksikanon,

So when negating a potential Contender assumption answer choice, it's best to focus on the overall meaning and not individual words to come up with a good negation. For this question, answer choice (B) is saying that the moths can escape none of their predators, so the negation would be that the moths can escape some of their predators :arrow: the moth isn't in danger of extinction. The problem there being that "some" is too vague and doesn't preclude the possibility that any one (or even multiple) predator would wipe it out.

Hope this helps!
 jennie
|
I understand why A is correct. But I still have problems with it. “Feeding on the grass is the only means by which to make the moth unpalatable” is not the same as “Feeding on the grass is the only protection for the moth.” — We need to make another assumption here, namely, being unpalatable is the only means of protection. B is tempting because B provides an alternative means of protection.
 Who Ray
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Dear Jennie,

While B is tempting, it does not perform the way a defender AC should in the negation test. Also, the question stem asks for a necessary assumption not all of the necessary assumptions. Just one of those assumptions would break the argument in the negation test, and that is enough to make them the right answer.

I hope that helps and be sure to hold the ACs to the right standard of scrutiny—not too high, not too low!

Cheers,
Who Ray!
 freddythepup
|
Hi, I know there's been a lot written on why B does not work, but I'm still not convinced. Is this just because A happens to be a better answer? the reason why I didn't choose A is because I thought "the only" part of the answer made it too extreme. When I negated it, I still did not see why it would have to be necessary for the argument. If A were right, don't we have to assume in the argument that the ONLY way for the magpie moth to defend itself from predators is to make itself unpalatable? I'm wondering if you can show me how we should assume that this is the only defense the magpie moth has. This is why I still don't get why B does not work. When I negate B, I guess it is not as STRONG of an assumption as A, but as a defender choice it still eliminates other ways of defense, making me think that without these other possible defenses, the moth can only defend itself by making itself unpalatable. Thanks!
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Freddy,

Be careful not to misuse a rule of thumb. It's good to notice the use of extreme words like "only," but that shouldn't lead you to automatically eliminate them as losers.

Answer choice (A) is required by the argument because if we negate it, it attacks the conclusion (that the moth is in danger of extinction). If feeding on the Natal grass cycad is NOT the only means by which the leopard magpie moth can make itself highly unpalatable to predators, then the moth can use other ways of protecting itself and it is not in danger of extinction.

Answer choice (B) is not an assumption. An assumption is a necessary premise. (B) would strengthen the argument but it is not NECESSARY. (B) reads: "The leopard magpie moth does not have the speed or the agility to escape from ANY of its potential predators." Negated, it reads: ""The leopard magpie moth has the speed or the agility to escape from SOME of its potential predators." This does not attack the conclusion. Maybe the moth will evade some predators but not its most significant actual predator. That predator may still consume it to extinction. The conclusion still stands.

It's important to approach this question type differently than you would a strengthen or a "justify the conclusion" question.
Remember that an assumption is a necessary premise. That's why the Assumption Negation test works. An answer choice is either necessary for the argument or not. If it is necessary, then negating it will make the argument fall apart.

I hope this explanation helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.