LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Method of Reasoning. The correct answer choice is (A)

On this problem, you can use an approach akin to that you might use on a Point-at-Issue question. Specifically, you might begin by identifying the disagreement between Patterson and Garza. Patterson claims that the Upper Paleolithic was the period during which music likely first arose based on the bone flutes discovered that date to this period, the earliest extant evidence of music. Garza disagrees that Patterson has provided sufficient evidence to make this claim. In other words, Garza suggests that Patterson does not have a strong basis to conclude that the Upper Paleolithic was in fact the period during which music originated. To back up his contention, Garza introduces evidence that (1) the Upper Paleolithic is characterized by extensive use of bone and (2) bone survives better than other materials commonly used for musical instruments.

Once you have determined the structure of this stimulus and its salient features, a good prephrase for a Method of Reasoning problem will include an abstract description of the means by which Garza responds to Patterson. You might predict that "Garza disagrees with Patterson by providing evidence that shows that Patterson lacks sufficient reason to reach her conclusion." If in doubt or between two answer choices on a Method of Reasoning question, match the parts of your contender answers to the corresponding information in the stimulus to verify which choice provides the most accurate and complete description.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. This choice is a good match for our prephrase and describes accurately the manner in which Garza contends that Patterson has failed to establish conclusively that the discovery of bone instruments implies a concurrent origin of music.

Answer choice (B): This choice is erroneously suggests that Garza disputes the veracity of Patterson's premise. Garza does not take exception to Patterson's contention that bone flutes from the Upper Paleolithic are the oldest extant evidence of music. Instead, Garza disputes whether this evidence is sufficient to reach Patterson's conclusion.

Answer choice (C): This choice is based on a misunderstanding of the function of Garza's premise about wood instruments. The deterioration of wood is not a counterexample to Patterson's conclusion. Instead it is an example of evidence that may suggest that Patterson lacks sufficient evidence to make her claim. In fact, Patterson may be correct! The wood example only shows that she has not provided enough facts to reach her conclusion.

Answer choice (D): This choice simply describes something that is not there. Garza does not make any argument analogous to that of Patterson, whether fallacious or not. Garza responds to Patterson's argument directly. The only comparison present (not an analogy) is that between other materials used to make instruments and bone.

Answer choice (E): While this choice is correct that Garza reaches a conclusion inconsistent with that of Patterson, it is inconsistent insofar as Garza questions the strength of Patterson's argument, not that Garza reaches some separate, conflicting conclusion. Further, Garza does not base this claim on Patterson's evidence. Instead, Garza introduces a new consideration that Patterson has evidently failed to consider.
 Margo
|
Administrator wrote:Complete Question Explanation

Answer choice (C): This choice is based on a misunderstanding of the function of Garza's premise about wood instruments. The deterioration of wood is not a counterexample to Patterson's conclusion. Instead it is an example of evidence that may suggest that Patterson lacks sufficient evidence to make her claim. In fact, Patterson may be correct! The wood example only shows that she has not provided enough facts to reach her conclusion.
Hi,
I understand why A is correct but I had a question about C (which I initially chose). Garza's wood example is meant to point out to Patterson that they may have missed something--not necessarily that wooden musical instruments existed before the Upper Paleolithic period, but that they COULD have. Therefore, Patterson does not have enough evidence to make their claim.

C is incorrect because it is not a counterexample but an example of evidence that MAY exist..but if Garza had said something along the lines of, "Actually, wooden musical instruments have been found that are from before the Upper Paleolithic," would THAT have been a counterexample? Would a counterexample need to be specific and directly refute Patterson's claim? Or if Garza had said, "Actually, I think that wooden musical instruments may exist from before the Upper Paleolithic," would that be a counterexample?

Hope my question makes sense. I guess I'm just checking my understanding of what a counterexample is in this context.
Thanks. :)
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Margo,

A counterexample here would be specific and actual, not hypothetical, as the example we are given is specific, actual and certain; it has to "counter" the example given. In this context that would mean some evidence for music in a period before the Upper Paleolithic, such as fossilized wooden harmonicas found in dinosaur jaws from the Jurassic period (or something a little more realistic).

Hope this helps!
 BWACHS
|
Hi!

Can you please explain more why B is incorrect? I'm missing how B does not capture what Garza is doing.

My thinking was that Garza adds new evidence by stating that bone survives longer than wood in archeological contexts to call Patterson's premise into question. I was between A and B and this thinking led me to B.

Am I treating a suggestion by Garza as evidence when it is not?

Thank you.
 Beth Hayden
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Bwachs,

The key to why (B) is wrong is that Garza is using more evidence (about wood) to question Patterson's conclusion, not the premise of his argument. The premise of the argument is that bone flutes are the earliest evidence found for music, and Garza does not dispute that! Instead, he argues that maybe people used wood instruments even prior to that, it's just that there is no evidence of them because they would have already decayed. Garza is assuming that Patterson's premise is true, he's just adding more information to show that Patterson's conclusion does not necessarily follow from that premise.

Hope that helps!
 ashpine17
|
i thought G was implying that the UP wasn't necessarily the earliest period bones were found because there was so much bone due to intensive use of bone
 ashpine17
|
*like it only seems that UP was the earliest period just because people in that period used so much bone
 ashpine17
|
like it's not necessarily the case that these bone flutes were earliest evidence because maybe there were flutes made from other types of materials that didn't stick around (ex wood)
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
ashpine17,

No one's concerned with establishing the earliest period when bones were used. The argument is about establishing when music arose.

Your last post is exactly correct, but that's why answer choice (A) is correct. Patterson says "the earliest stuff we found was bone stuff from this time period - that time period must be the earliest music was around." Garza replies "The earliest we found bone instruments doesn't really establish the earliest instruments, because other materials might not survive. So you're not establishing what's truly earliest, like you want, but the earliest "resilient" materials."

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.