LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
That's excellent reasoning Sam!
 Kellyg
|
Jon,

In your earlier response you said "(B) This answer is tricky, as it's the combination of three rules causing the problem here. First, we know that Franz and Isaac cannot be on the same wall, so F's watercolor cannot be on walls 3 or 4. We also know that no wall has only one student, so F's watercolor cannot be on wall 1 (his oil is already there). "

Could you explain to me how we know the F cannot be on wall 3? How do we know that Isaac's is on wall 3?
 Kellyg
|
Sorry for not consolidating my question, but is there an available setup of all the rules and inferences? In the explanations of several answers I find it hard to follow because they keep taking for granted inferences that must've been made in a setup I cannot find
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi, Kelly,

Here is one possible setup:

I have used the double not arrow for the F, I rule because I wanted to specify that these two cannot be selected together, regardless of upper or lower position.

We can infer that two oil paintings cannot be selected together either (because this would force two watercolors together).

Therefore we can infer that Hw must be with Io in 4.

This means that the content of and position of the paintings on two walls are already determined.

I have illustrated out the two remaining possibilities, Fw with Ho and Go with Iw or Fw with Go and Ho with Iw.

I've used double arrows for these because again upper and lower position do not matter.

This is just one possible setup. There are clearly ways we could do this by using blocks instead of the double arrows. I used the double arrows for brevity and clarity.

I hope this helps!
 lolaSur
|
Is it correct that for global questions we don't need to diagram? Is it better to use the rules or the process of elimination to find the correct answer for global questions? Please let me know. Thank you!
 Paul Marsh
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Lola! You are right, for Global Questions we are not given a new rule and so there is nothing new to diagram. Instead we rely on our initial work during the Setup of the game (rules + master diagram + inferences), as well as diagrams from previous Local Questions, to attack Global Questions. Pure process of elimination (testing each answer choice one by one) is always a last resort for Logic Game questions since it can be incredibly time consuming. The preferred method of attack depends on the specific type of Global Question. For example, in a Could Be True or Must be False question, the diagrams from previous Local Questions (within the same logic game) are often extremely helpful. If a Could be True answer choice appears in a previous diagram, it's the right answer! (Similarly, if a Must be False answer choice appears in a previous diagram, you can go ahead and cross that answer out). On the other hand, for Must be True questions, the master diagram and inferences are a good starting point. In particular, if you've made an inference during your Setup that feels especially significant, go ahead and look for it in the answer to a Must be True question - you'll often find it! If you have any questions about the best way to attack a specific Global Question, please feel free to ask here on the Forum and an instructor will walk you through it. Hope that helps!
 hope
|
Hi can an administrator please post the complete setup and rules with all the inferences? Thank you.
 Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
hope wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:36 pm Hi can an administrator please post the complete setup and rules with all the inferences? Thank you.
Hi Hope!

We have now added an image of the setup at the top of this thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=1212&t=13185.

Thanks!
 Bmas123
|
Hi! how can the deduction be just Hw in the upper 4th spot? I made the deduction that Go or H could go in that spot. In all of my scenarios throughout the game, I had Hw in that spot but I'm just wondering how that came about to get just that deduction. Thanks!
 Bmas123
|
Bmas123 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:11 pm Hi! how can the deduction be just Hw in the upper 4th spot? I made the deduction that Go or H could go in that spot. In all of my scenarios throughout the game, I had Hw in that spot but I'm just wondering how that came about to get just that deduction. Thanks!
Nevermind, figured it out!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.