LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 ndimas
|
Hello! I am confused on how to figure out that "if substituted for the constraint that T cannot be mentioned in chapter 1" the correct answer would be B. Is B the correct answer because if W was not able to be 4, this would still prevent T from being 1st?
 brcibake
|
ndimas wrote:Hello! I am confused on how to figure out that "if substituted for the constraint that T cannot be mentioned in chapter 1" the correct answer would be B. Is B the correct answer because if W was not able to be 4, this would still prevent T from being 1st?
I had the same issue. I thought the answer was C. Not sure what thought processes and inferences I missed that would've helped me on this one
 AthenaDalton
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Great question! Brcibake's reasoning is on point. :)

There are two relevant rules we need to focus on to solve this one.

First, the rule that T cannot be mentioned in chapter 1.

Second, the rule that T must be mentioned before W and exactly two chapters must separate T and W. This rule gives us a block of four chapters that looks like this: T _ _ W.

Under the original rules of the game, if T is placed in chapter 1, W will be in chapter 4, since W always has to come 3 chapters after T.

Question 11 asks for a rule that will have the same effect on the game even if rule #1 (T cannot be in chapter 1) is suspended. We can get the exact same effect by creating a rule that W cannot be in chapter 4. Since T must always come 3 chapters ahead of W, if W cannot be in chapter 4; T still cannot be chapter 1. That's how we get (B) as the right answer.

I hope that helps clarify things. Good luck studying!

Athena Dalton

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.