LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post below with any questions!
 eronquillo12
|
Hi- i missed questions 2, 4, and 5 in this game. According to the set up outlined, I diagrammed this correctly but I still had a hard time. I found myself re-drawing and going through each answer. I

For number 2, other than diagramming out each answer, is there a faster way to figure it out?
 nicholaspavic
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi eronquillo,

I don't really see where we did the set up for this Grouping Game, so I would like you to show me what yours looks like. Also, did you do 2 templates for your main map? That's going to help you quickly eliminate several answer choices here right off the bat.

Let us know what your set up looked like and we can go from there!
 j199393
|
Hi - I got this question wrong and was overwhelmed when I came to it because there weren't really any inferences during setup, and I thought I would have to try diagramming each one of these options out.

However, I'm looking at it now and realize that D could be very obvious, but I have a question. When it says that: Juana and Mei are not both facilitators, is it saying that they are both not facilitators TOGETHER, or each of them cannot be facilitators?

Thank you!
 LawSchoolDream
|
Hi,

Can someone respond to the previous question please? I have the same question. I crossed out D on the basis of the first question, that Juan can be a facilitator, so can M.

Also, I struggled A LOT with this question and I'm pretty good with logic games. Can someone please break the strategy behind attacking this question down?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The wording of answer D is a little awkward, but it means that that cannot both be facilitators in one single solution. If they had meant it the other way, they would have had to write it differently (like "neither J nor M is a facilitator," the way answer E is written.) Understanding the grammatical structure here is key!

I would attack this question by reviewing each answer quickly to see if I see anything obvious, but I would not stop to test any of them at first. Testing answers is a last, desperate measure, and you should sort them into those worth testing and those that are not worth testing (because they are clearly wrong) before you put pencil to paper. A is clearly wrong, because J can be on either team (as long as O is on the other team). Same with answer B, since nothing forces L to be a Facilitator. C is obviously wrong for the same reason as A (and interestingly, these two answers cancel each other out, because if either of them is true then both are true, and you can't have two correct answers.) That leaves just D and E, and E is little tricky because we already know that K is not a Facilitator. Can J be one? Sure, why not? But if you had any doubt at this point about which of these two answers was correct you would test E by making J a Facilitator, and when it worked out you would know that E was wrong and D had to be correct.

In my main diagram I would have shown O/ in the Facilitator slot for the Green team and /O in that slot for the Red team, in order to reflect that O has to occupy one of those two slots. That makes D an obvious correct answer - there's no way they can both be Facilitators because one of those two positions must be filled by O. But that all depends on your understanding what that answer meant, and why it didn't mean what answer E meant. "Not both" and "neither" have different meanings.
 LawSchoolDream
|
Adam Tyson wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:15 pm The wording of answer D is a little awkward, but it means that that cannot both be facilitators in one single solution. If they had meant it the other way, they would have had to write it differently (like "neither J nor M is a facilitator," the way answer E is written.) Understanding the grammatical structure here is key!

I would attack this question by reviewing each answer quickly to see if I see anything obvious, but I would not stop to test any of them at first. Testing answers is a last, desperate measure, and you should sort them into those worth testing and those that are not worth testing (because they are clearly wrong) before you put pencil to paper. A is clearly wrong, because J can be on either team (as long as O is on the other team). Same with answer B, since nothing forces L to be a Facilitator. C is obviously wrong for the same reason as A (and interestingly, these two answers cancel each other out, because if either of them is true then both are true, and you can't have two correct answers.) That leaves just D and E, and E is little tricky because we already know that K is not a Facilitator. Can J be one? Sure, why not? But if you had any doubt at this point about which of these two answers was correct you would test E by making J a Facilitator, and when it worked out you would know that E was wrong and D had to be correct.

In my main diagram I would have shown O/ in the Facilitator slot for the Green team and /O in that slot for the Red team, in order to reflect that O has to occupy one of those two slots. That makes D an obvious correct answer - there's no way they can both be Facilitators because one of those two positions must be filled by O. But that all depends on your understanding what that answer meant, and why it didn't mean what answer E meant. "Not both" and "neither" have different meanings.
This is so helpful thanks so much!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.