LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post below with any questions!
 rragepack
|
Dear Powerscore,

I chose C instead of E and although I see how E can be correct. I don't really see how C can be incorrect. I believe the two answers are almost saying the same thing. Could you explain why C would be incorrect?

Thank you.
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi rragepack!

With main purpose questions, we're looking for an answer choice that is basically just a more abstract version of the main point. Main point is always closely aligned with the author's viewpoint and also takes into account passage structure. The main point of this passage is summed up pretty well in the first paragraph: "But while there are some cases for which specific performance can be a better alternative than monetary damages, there are many instances in which it is clearly not a suitable remedy." This is the author's viewpoint and sets-up a specific argument that the author is making. The subsequent paragraphs then support the author's argument by explaining why specific performance works well for some cases (paragraph 2) and why monetary damages works better for other cases (paragraph 3).

Answer choices (C) and (E) are very similar and when we have two similar answer choices like this we want to be able to really zero in on the differences between them.

Answer choice (C) states: "explain the differences among a group of interrelated legal procedures." There are a couple of things that stand out here. First, it refers to a "group" and really we only have two options that are discussed. Is that enough to eliminate it? Maybe not. It's possible to have a group of two. But it's already setting it apart from answer choice (E) which clearly specifies "two." Second, answer choice (C) calls them "legal procedures." But "specific performance" and "monetary damages" are not exactly "procedures" (a.k.a., steps for doing something). They're two possible ways of dealing with breach of contract disputes. Answer choice (E) describes this better by referring to them as "legal remedies," which matches how they are referred to in the first paragraph. Finally, answer choice (E) better addresses the argument the author is making. The author is not just contrasting specific performance and monetary damages. He's explaining why specific performance works better for some contract disputes and why monetary damages works better for others. In this way, he is identifying criteria for how these remedies should be applied. He's specifically telling us that specific performance should be applied in these types of situations, but monetary damage should be applied in these types of situations. Thus, even though at first it seems as though (C) and (E) are similar answer choices, the differences between them show that answer choice (E) is the superior answer for describing the purpose of the passage.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 Katherinthesky
|
Hello,

I understand why the correct answer is (E), but I still have a hard time completely eliminating (A) because of paragraph 3's discussion on the "detrimental" effects of Specific Performance. I thought that (A)'s mention of "[predicting] the consequences of following a policy" reflected that particular discussion.

However, could the reason why (A) is ultimately wrong have to do with the fact that it doesn't also include paragraph 2 (which deals with a situation in which Specific Performance is appropriate)?

Thank you in advance!

-Katherine
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Katherinthesky,

The passage isn't talking about making specific performance the default policy, but comparing times that specific performance and monetary damages each make sense. It describes specific performance as a remedy that courts "sometimes" use, while describing situations where specific performance is appropriate and others where monetary damages are. Answer choice (E) which describes a passage that discusses the implications of two different theories, which matches what we have here.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.