LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post below with any questions!
 Nancyli19
|
Hi. Could someone please clarify this question? The answers are quite subtle and I found a couple of them attractive. Also, what would be a good strategy for this type of question?
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi, Nancyli,

Absolutely, the answer choices for this question appear to have a degree of overlap, or at least the ability to lead you in several seemingly appealing directions. However, as is often the case, the key for success here is a close reading of the text coupled with an accurate prediction for an answer.

From the context of the passage, why should we care that some clearings might be "purely social phenomena"? There must be some inherent logic to the text to explain why we would want to know that they're "purely social," as opposed to something else. This "something else" is the key question. What are the "purely social phenomena" offered in contrast to? Since we are addressing a "local" question that considers some larger purpose, we should revisit the overarching purpose of the passage, namely to contrast the authors' theory with the "common view." What does the common view assert? It asserts that clearing had an "economic use."

Through the author's discussion of Geographer Yi-Fu Tuan right up through the last paragraph, she is concerned with calling into question this prevailing view. The final point about some clearings as "purely social phenomena" is simply a continuation of her discussion of the manner in which these clearings are non-economic in nature. This leads you to an excellent prediction of Answer Choice (A).

So bottom line, what's important? A firm grasp of the main point/primary purpose of this passage is very helpful in coming up with an accurate "prephrase" for this question. Further, rely on your prediction skills. To the best of your ability, try to come up with a strong response before you get into the answer choices. I never regret doing the work necessary fully to understand a question and its likely answer before I get into the weeds of answer choices. As you noticed here, many answer choices may appear enticing if you don't know quite what you're looking for. Avoid these traps by doing your own work first.
 Alexander Rothschild
|
Would you mind explaining why answer choices "B" and "C" are incorrect?
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Alexander Rothschild,

B: This is saying phenomena that apply to every human society but only human societies (which just isn't supported at all by the passage)

C: This one doesn't work either, because the passage doesn't at all suggest that the clearings were created for some reason the goal of which is to increase ties among members in a society. It just doesn't match up at all.

Hope that helps!
 bli2016
|
Hi, is D wrong because the phenomena could be unintentional (the answer choice says the phenomena was "intentionally created by human actions"), or because it does not capture the juxtaposition between economic and noneconomic factors that is a main issue in the passage?
 Kristina Moen
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi bli,

Yes, answer choice (D) it does not capture the juxtaposition between economic and non-economic practices. The author uses the phrase "purely social phenomena" (emphasis added) to distinguish it from practices motivated by economic use. Further, the author does not describe the clearing as intentionally created, but as a byproduct of woodland paths (L56 - "since where paths meet, wider clearings emerge...").
 mN2mmvf
|
Hi,

I prephrased this question exactly as you suggested-- that the reason the author talked about "purely social phenomena" must have been primarily to distinguish it from the economic phenomena that is the central question of the passage. But simply calling that phenomena anything non-economic would allow the clearings to appear for practically any reason at all, save for food procurement, which isn't what the passage implies. After all, maybe the clearings arose as a byproduct of a forest fire that a society accidentally caused? That's non-economic activity, but that doesn't seem to be consonant with what the passage is saying really...it's arguing that the clearings were there because people were afraid of the forest.

I thought (C) was a better choice because I thought the passage suggested that, if the author's theory is correct, it would explain the clearings not as economic, or as literally anything that is non-economic (choice A), -- but rather as having an identifiable social purpose...to avoid the forest. That the passage goes on to say that the clearings "became convenient spots for resting" as well suggested to me that perhaps the society's members rested together at the clearings, surviving a purpose that would "strengthen ties between a society's members." Why else would the author talk about spots for resting if not to say that the clearings were there for people to rest together in safety outside the forest?
 nicholaspavic
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi mN2,

I think you are overinterpreting the words used by the author. Which is to say "convenient spots for resting" do not equal "phenomena that serve the purpose of strengthening ties between a society’s members." In other words, you are making an undue inference.

I agree with Emily here and her assessment that the idea proposed by Answer Option (C) is not mentioned at all in the passage. Of course, (C) could be true, but there is nothing to suggest in the passage that it must be true because it isn't addressed. Remember that all MBT questions must pass our Fact Test to be correct.

Thanks for the question.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.