LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post below with any questions!
 quigleyest
|
I didn't see support for the language in A, about setting her apart from her contemporaries?

Any explanation for how A is stronger than options like D?
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Quigleyest,

Thanks for the question! The first paragraph gives support for her being set apart from contemporaries. For D, I don't think the author is really admiring the "rapid development" of her work, so much as the work itself. Go back and see if you can find support in the text for answer D, and then compare it again with A. It's definitely worth going back over tricky questions a second time to make sure you see how they work!
 bli2016
|
Hi, this question was particularly challenging for me because all of them mention "admiration" in some way, and it was difficult for me to parse out the nuances between the answer choices. Could you tell me if I am eliminating the answer choices correctly?

B) There is no evidence that she was "positioned on the periphery of the art world"
C) There is no evidence that she "remained faithful to Japanese architectural traditions
D) The author never mentions a "rapid" development in her work, nor an appreciation towards it
E) There is no evidence that she "revolutionized the field of structural design"

In addition I had trouble choosing A because I could not identify where in the passage the author mentions her being different from her contemporaries. Is it in the first paragraph where it states that Gray "eschewed the... lines of the Art Nouveau movement that had flourished in Paris"?
 Kristina Moen
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi bli,

This was a tough question. Typically "tone" questions contain a range of attitudes (from negative to positive), but the answer choices here were all positive. You know the author is appreciating Eileen Grey, but why? What information does the author give you about Eileen Gray? Your method of eliminating answers is correct. If you don't see anything in the passage that is described in the answer choice, eliminate it. I checked your responses, and I agree with all the reasons why you eliminated the answer choices. Nice job.

As for answer choice (A), there are several parts in the passage that indicate that Eileen Gray was set apart from her contemporaries. Japanese lacquer methods were "then little known in Europe" (L11) and she eschewed the style of the Art Nouveau movement (L15).
 Etsevdos
|
Is it also safe to eliminate D because the authors first sentence...."Best known for work with lacqquer, EG had a ...artistic career". This suggests to me that she is best known for her work in a non artistic capacity; therefore D cannot be correct since there is no way to "ensure" a avant reputation in the arts for her?
 nicholaspavic
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Yes etsevdos,

That's a way to definitely view it. Well done. :-D
 Bmas123
|
I picked C because the article placed an emphasis on lacquer as an important medium in Grey's work and it compared her architectural work to her work in lacquer as well. Is this answet incorrect because it references "japanese architecture" but we only know that she uses Japanese lacquer techniques? Is it also too strong in its focus on Japanese influences?

I initially went with A but then changed to C because the passage didnt really talk about her contemporaries much, but I can see how they get that from Paragraph 1 where they mention how she is different from the current Art Nouveau trend.
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Exactly, Bmas123. The only reference to Japanese art is the discussion of learning the Japanese tradition of lacquer. There is no discussion of Japanese architecture at all, let alone Gray's interpretation of Japanese architecture. Answer choice (C) mixes up ideas mentioned in the passage but does not connect them accurately.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.