LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post below with any questions!
 15veries
|
Does support for E come from Line 25-34?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I think you'll find much more support for answer E in the latter half of the last paragraph, where the author tells us about Gray's architectural style and accomplishments, There we learn about cabinets in stairs, desks in cabinets, tables that can pivot for different purposes. Lots of function in her later work!

Keep at it, 15. Good luck!
 dtodaizzle
|
I didn't like the other answer choices, but I also eliminated (E) because of "Much." Isn't "Much" here indicating >50%? We know what her philosophy is, but does the passage give us any clues on quantity?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
"Much" is a relative term, dtodaizzle. What you are thinking of is the word "most", which means more than half. Much just means, well, a lot. How much is a lot? I have no idea! Here, what we learned about Gray's later work in architecture was focused almost entirely on the functional aspects, so while it's possible that functionality played only a small part in that part of her career, it sure seems like it was a big part. That's what allows us to say we have support for it, and most importantly we have more support for that claim than we have for any of the other answers.

Here's an example: Much of my time is spent sleeping. I don't think it's any where near half of my lifetime, maybe more like 1/4 (I sleep about 6 hours a night, give or take), but that's still a lot. It's still "much", in my opinion. I would not say that most of my time is spent sleeping, of course, because it is much less than half.

Beware of other relative terms that cannot so easily be quantified, like "many" and "few". We can't put numbers on those, but we can consider them in relative terms and in a more holistic way.

Keep at it!
 jenna_d
|
Why couldn't the answer be A to this question. Gray appeared to use a lot of different styles and mediums (furniture, screens, ornaments etc.) throughout her time as an artist. Am I misinterpreting the words "style" and "medium" as relevant to this question, because I feel like I am! Thanks!
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Jenna,

I would ask myself about what we know of Gray's reputation. The best evidence we have of where her reputation rests is in the first sentence: Eileen Gray is "best known for her work with lacquer."

Besides this, the author of the passage does not comment on the idea of 'reputation.' Since the first sentence leads us in the opposite direction of choice (A) - she is best known for her work with one material, not a range of styles - we cannot confidently prove this answer choice.
 RichieC
|
Hi,

When I read "later work" in answer choice E, I thought it meant her architectural "era". And her architectural work is functional, but I'm not sure I see a mention of ornamental?

The only example I can find that's both functional an ornamental is her screen (Line 33-34: "a painting, a piece of furniture, and an architectural element"), which is mentioned in the second paragraph, prior to her work in furniture (Lines 34-35: "She subsequently became heavily invested in the design of furniture", and Lines 40-41: "Gray's work in ... interior design prefigures her work as an architect").

So what exactly is the LSAT definition of "later work"? Or did I miss the "ornamental" part somewhere?
 atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello,

Let me comment on what I know is a frustrated part of any test: the terms used on the LSAT are not specific to the LSAT itself apart from the material presented; so if you see a term like "later work," it will be a reference to something within the passage itself. Now, the trouble is finding the reference, and what it makes especially difficult in this scenario is that the architectural work, which receives a lot of attention in the last part of passage is indeed a red herring.

I would refer you to line 26, in which the author mentions a distinction between Gray's early work and what she did "later," which features "work" (emphasis mine) that becomes the basis for the "painting, a piece of furniture, and an
architectural element all at once." (line 33-4) portion of the passage you already found.

This was pretty "hidden" (my word) in my opinion. You had the right idea with not looking at the architectural paragraph and were definitely looking in the right area. Hopefully this clears things up for you.
 mkarimi73
|
Could I possibly have an explanation as to why (D) can be removed from contention? I picked (E) because it had more support despite the word "ornamental," but I could not find enough support for (D) without making some extra assumptions about her "panel work." Is this the right approach?

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.