LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The conditional relationships in this stimulus produce a multi-conditional (and/or) with a double arrow that deserves to be diagrammed to avoid confusion and make answer selection much easier than it would be if you were trying to juggle this all in your head. It should look something like this:

First sentence:

HLS (High Level of Skill) + HDC (High Degree of Creativity) :arrow: GA (Great Art)

Second sentence:

GA :arrow: HLS + HDC

Combine those and we get a double arrow, with each thing being sufficient for the other:

GA :dbl: HLS + HDC

The conclusion brings up a new element, rarity:

GA :arrow: R

The stem asks us to identify an underlying assumption, and that means linking the "rogue" elements in our premises (HLS + HDC) to the one in the conclusion (R). Our prephrase should be a link between rarity and the simultaneous application of both of those two "high degree" elements.

Answer A: "Not every artist" has one of those two skills is not the same as saying that the application of a combination of those skills is rare. It only means that at least one artist lacks one of them. Our author need not assume this, as it could be that every artist has skill, but that creativity or the application of both is rare.

Answer B: This is the correct answer. If our author believes great art is rare, he must believe that an artist combining those two elements in a work of art is also rare (because any time you do that, you get great art, per the first premise). The use of "seldom combined" is the same as saying "the combination is rare."

Answer C: It is not enough for an artist to possess both of the elements mentioned in the stimulus - she has to combine them both in producing a work of art. It could be that some artist who has both skill and creativity in high degrees nevertheless fails to live up to her potential by not putting those things to work in a single artwork. Mom would be so disappointed! Our author doesn't need to assume that every artist who HAS the skills will always (or ever) EMPLOY the skills.

Answer D: Much like answer A, the author does not need to assume that any artist lacks creativity. They may all have creativity, but skill, or the application of both things at once, is rare.

Answer E: Rarity is a relative claim, and we can't put any numbers to it all that easily. This answer talks about any particular artist producing "few" great works of art, another subjective term. Because we can't know what either "few" or "rare" really mean in the grand scheme of all art, the author didn't have to assume this. It could be that a single artist combining skill and creativity produces "many" great works or art, but that great art still remains "rare" compared to the total amount of art produced. Without a deeper understanding of the numbers involved, this answer need not be assumed.
 Moukieroo
|
Thanks for the detailed explanation and the diagramming breakdown.

I was able to get to a 50/50 here between B and E.

I initially chose B because it seemed intuitive that the conclusion Great works of art are necessarily rare would be a sufficient condition for the necessary condition that A high degree of creativity and a high level of artistic skill are seldom combined in the creation of a work of art
because the seldom combination of the two abilities would lead to an interpretation of rarity.

Whereas with E it seemed that the statement
if Great works of art are necessarily rare then Anyone endowed with both a high level of artistic skill and a high degree of creativity will produce only a few great works of art does not follow because even if people with the two abilities are producing 'few' works of art there could be MANY of these people that have the two abilities there fore making Great Art not very rare anymore.

The problem for me came in when I negated the two statements!
Negation of B:
A high degree of creativity and a high level of artistic skill are often combined in the creation of a work of art
Negation of E:
Anyone endowed with both a high level of artistic skill and a high degree of creativity will produce more than a few great works of art

it seemed to me that E ruined the argument more than B did simply because more than a few was more equivalent to not rare to me because with B it seems that the negation helps the argument, making it solidified that when a great work of art is made the two abilities are often combined...

ALL IN ALL! I am trying to say that the negation process of this one really threw me off -- I think I got the negations wrong and would like a little help negating things as ambiguous as rare and few and seldom.

Thanks so much sorry if this is confusing- let me know if I can clarify my dilemma a little better :)
 Paul Marsh
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Moukieroo! Your negations of Answer Choices (B) and (E) are generally correct. But the reason why (E) is an incorrect Answer Choice (and why its negation doesn't make the argument fall apart) is because we don't know how frequently people "endowed with both a high level of artistic skill and a high degree of creativity" come along. They could be incredibly rare. So when we look at the negation of (E), even if someone so endowed produces more than a few great works of art, it still could be the case that those people are so infrequent that it doesn't really hurt the stimulus's conclusion that great works of art are rare.

On the other hand, the negation of Answer Choice (B) does seriously damage the argument. If a high degree of creativity and a high level of artistic skill are frequently combined in the creation of a work of art (Note: not just the creation of a great work of art, but in the creation of any work of art) then great works of art are fairly common! (Remember that whenever those two qualities are combined, then the resulting work of art must be great). This seriously undermines the conclusion that great art is rare.

(B) tells us that qualities sufficient to create great art are rare. (E) tells us that artists endowed with the abilities to make great art only make a few great works. (B) is actually necessarily required by the argument in order for its conclusion to function, while (E) is not. Hope that helps!
 bebeg3168
|
Hi,
On answer choice C. Could it be said that this choice is too strong? I was stuck between B and C but being this is a NA question B's language is a little more sudden and the negation still destroys the conclusion. Am I on the right track here?
 Paul Popa
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Bebe,

I would definitely agree that C is too strong. It is true that a high level of artistic skill and a high degree of creativity are required in order to produce a great work of art, but just because someone possesses both of these qualities doesn't mean that they will ever actually combine them to create a great work of art. The artists would need to be motivated to do so, and this isn't guaranteed.

Another major issue for C is that it doesn't tie into the rarity element introduced in the conclusion. We need an answer choice that successfully combines the artistic skill and creativity with rarity, and C doesn't do that. Hope this helps!
 LawSchoolDream
|
The question stem "assumption required". Is that an assumption or Justify question?
 Hanin Abu Amara
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Required is a necessary indicator so this would be an assumption question.

Sufficient indicators are justify questions and necessary indicators are assumption questions.

So "if assumed" = if is sufficient = justify question

"assumption required" = required is necessary = assumption question

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.