LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

In this Parallel Flaw question, the first step is to identify the flaw in the stimulus, as that is the thing we need to parallel or duplicate in our chosen answer. Here, the presence of the word "anyone" should alert the reader to the presence of conditional reasoning, as that is a classic sufficient condition indicator.

The argument is built as follows:

If seeking a job with an international organization, then travel abroad a lot (SJIO :arrow: TA)

The prime minister has met the necessary condition (TA), so he must meet the sufficient condition (SJIO) (TA :arrow: SJIO)

This is a classic Mistaken Reversal, and that is what we must look for in the answer choices. We need a conditional argument with only two terms, the necessary condition being met, and a conclusion that the sufficient condition must also be met.

Answer A: This looks more like a repeat form (the sufficient condition is met so the necessary condition must be met), except for additional problem of "most". The use of "most" here, along with the absence of any mistaken reversal, takes this one out of the running.

Answer B: As this answer contains no conditional reasoning at all, it is an easy one to reject as a loser.

Answer C: This answer is also devoid of any sort of "if...then" structure, other than an implied conditional (the author seems to have assumed that if the light changes as you approach then you must have made it change), so it is also a loser.

Answer D: This is the correct answer. "People who" is your red flag here, indicating a sufficient condition just like "anyone" in the stimulus. Here, it's "if negotiating a loan, then go to the bank" (NL :arrow: GTB); Thompson met the necessary condition (GTB) so he must have met the sufficient condition (NL). A Mistaken Reversal just like in the stimulus. Winner!

Answer E: Nothing conditional here, this answer instead makes an evidence error by relying on a lack of evidence against a claim to prove that claim is true. While that is indeed a flaw in the reasoning, it is not the flaw we were looking for.
 Iri
|
Hi,

I understand why the other answers don't work, but I'm getting caught up in one detail of the answer E). I diagrammed as "If people are negotiating a personal loan :arrow: go to bank to meet with a loan agent." Thompson just went to the bank, and so isn't necessarily meeting with a loan agent while he's there. Can you explain why this is still the right answer? Thanks.
 Kristina Moen
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Iri,

The stimulus also contains wording that is not identical. The required condition for seeking a job at an international condition is to "spend a lot of time traveling abroad." We're told that the PM spent "more days abroad than at home so far this year."

Further, you are to select the the answer choice that is most similar to the stimulus. Answer choice (D) is the only answer choice that has the Mistaken Reversal flaw.

You can learn from this question - look for the flaw! Don't get hung up on whether the stated conditional relationship has the exact same wording as the other premise and then pick an answer that doesn't demonstrate the flaw.

Hope this helps!
 Iri
|
It does, thank you!
 lunalondon
|
Hello PowerScore,

I'm interested in why the "most" aspect of A rules that answer choice out. In the stimulus there isn't airtight conditionality given that "anyone seeking a job.. would surely spend a lot of time traveling.." Isn´t the "would surely" indicative that the conditionality happens in most cases, as opposed to always?

Thanks!
 Kristina Moen
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Luna,

"Surely" is not the same as "probably" or "most often." This may be different from how you use the word in real life. On this test, you can think of the word "surely" as being synonymous with "definitely." "Surely" is similar to "sure," right? When you're sure of something, you believe it fully, right?

So if I said "I will surely go to the store today," I don't mean "I will probably go to the store." What I mean is that "I will definitely go to the store."
 lunalondon
|
Makes sense - thank you!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.