LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to LSAT Logical Reasoning.
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
davidp95,

I think there is a potential huge ambiguity in what you're asking, so can you tell me some exact answer choices you're talking about? Neither one you quoted seems exactly like something on an actual test, and note that, for example, the first quote is difficult to interpret. It could seem to mean one of two things:

1. "In order to reach its conclusion, the argument mistakes a necessary condition for a sufficient condition."

That just claims that the argument is using a Mistaken Reversal in its reasoning.

2. "The argument mistakes something that is necessary for its conclusion for something that is sufficient for that conclusion."

That's saying something quite different. It's saying that a premise that is factually necessary for the author's conclusion to be drawn is mistakenly thought by the author to be sufficient for drawing that conclusion.

The difference between 1 and 2 there is that 1 is about a Mistaken Reversal in a conditional relationship, whereas 2 is about mistaking the logical relation of a premise to a conclusion.

Can you give me a specific question where an answer said something like that so I can be more clear in my answer?

Robert Carroll
 davidp95
|
Thank you for your reply.

I do not recall if I have seen a question in which it does a mistaken reversal and has those both choices.

I am trying to get some of the fundamentals under my belt before doing more PTs or drills using actual questions. I don't want to waste them yet if I'm stuck on certain concepts.

Just to keep this short, I have anxiety and I worry that on test day I will get a stimulus with a condition in which it does a mistaken reversal. And then it gives me the two choices of mistakes the sufficient for necessary to reach a conclusion and the second choice.

I believe my question could be boiled down to: Will there ever be a question in which the conditionals are revered and it is a mistakes a sufficient for a necessary to reach the conclusion? (I totally get how it makes sense the other way around because you can't confirm the consequence)
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
davidp95 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:27 pm I do not recall if I have seen a question in which it does a mistaken reversal and has those both choices.
And you won't--the LSAT would never put both answers because both would be defensible as correct. As Rachael noted, these errors are the same, just described in different ways. The concern you have won't be an issue, happily :-D
 davidp95
|
That is such a relief!! Thank you so much!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.