LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to LSAT Logical Reasoning.
 ec623ec623
|
If I'm not mistaken, value judgements in answer choices are not good answers.

Is it considered a value judgement (and therefore always wrong) when it says "the author inappropriately assumes ...."

From the tests I've done so far, I don't recall a time where "inappropriately assumed" was ever correct.

Similarly, is there ever a chance that an answer choice that says "the author ignores..." will be correct?
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi ec623ec623!

You comment,

If I'm not mistaken, value judgements in answer choices are not good answers.
There can be plenty of questions on the LSAT in which the correct answer choice involves a value judgment. It can certainly be worthwhile to note language that indicates a value judgment (e.g., language like "should" or "ought"). But whether or not a value judgment in the answer choice is appropriate will depend on each stimulus and question. For example, a stimulus might involve the conclusion that "one should not do XYZ," or that "XYZ is unethical," and the question stem might ask one to identify the conclusion. In that case, the correct answer choice would have to include that value judgment of the conclusion.

Is it considered a value judgement (and therefore always wrong) when it says "the author inappropriately assumes ...."
To reiterate, answer choices with value judgments in them are not always wrong. It's hard to say for sure without knowing the broader context, but that mentioned language doesn't necessarily involve a value judgment. For example the author might leap to a conclusion unwarranted by the evidence, or engage in a logical fallacy. The term "inappropriately" could apply in those cases.

Similarly, is there ever a chance that an answer choice that says "the author ignores..." will be correct?
Yes, there's no reason why that language on its own renders answer choices more or less likely to be correct. An author in a stimulus might ignore a counterargument or other available evidence, for example, and the question stem might ask for the method of reasoning employer or might ask for one to identify a flaw.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.