LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to LSAT Logical Reasoning.
 Kenna47
|
Hi Besties!

So, I'm currently planning to write in January and I'm looking for some strategies to improve on LR, where I consistently miss 6-8 questions. For reference I have accommodations and I am studying using a modified, three-section test where each section is double time. (So I have never failed to finish a section on time, or had to guess on like the last five.)

Here's where I *think* I'm struggling:
I had taken PT 84's LR section II as a drill, under timed conditions. I got 18 out of 25 on the section, and I had missed all of the lower percentage problems (an evaluation, weaken, and flaw questions) and I had flagged all of them. I also missed a 53% Flaw question I had not flagged, along with a point at issue, resolve, and weaken questions. (These all had higher percentages)

So, I think I need to drill questions such as Flaw at all difficulties, weaken questions, and point at issue questions as well.
But I'm honestly not sure if I am going about this correctly. Should I review it more thoroughly? Should I do what's been recommended for a plateau-like going over method questions?
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Kenna,

I think it's always difficult to look at performance on one test and draw any inferences about it. From your test, you could say that Flaw, Weaken, and Point at Issue are areas to work on. But given what you said...isn't it at least as plausible that your performance shows that it's difficult questions you need to work on? It looks like 4/7 of what you got wrong was difficult.

I think there's more work to be done to diagnose your difficulties. Were the difficult problems difficult solely for that reason, or did you struggle with the fundamental concepts of Flaw, Weaken, or Point at Issue questions? If the former, I'd say working on all types of difficult questions is a good idea. If the latter, I do think looking at those types specifically is a good idea.

One other thing not to neglect - sometimes performance on later questions can be hindered by losing time on earlier questions, even ones you get right. Now based on what you said, that might not be as much of an issue because you don't run out of time, but if you're spending less time on the more difficult questions that they deserve, maybe you really should have been trying to do some of the earlier questions just as well, but in less time.

With only two weeks before the test, I definitely think you want to ramp up doing 2-3 full PTs a week, and your performance on those tests should give you more data points to diagnose your difficulties! Pay attention to how long you take on each question as well.

Robert Carroll
 ellenolmore
|
Hello,

I too, have been struggling with LR (typically getting half of the questions right on full tests). I have found I get tripped up on the language in the answer choices where I either overthink a certain word or underthink a certain word and how it applies to the stimulus. For example, I have run into questions where the stimulus and the answers might use eloquent language (such as "one must infer" or "the condition that one makes does not equate to the necessary") or even the application of terms such as "phenomenon" and "events" which I tend to think are synonymous (until I overthink the terms then deem them different, but also they still could mean the same). I am not sure if my question makes sense, but this all stems from the LR section 1 of TestPrep 69

Thank you!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Ellenolmore,

There are a few things that I think could help you here. One of the best ways to avoid getting tripped up in the answer choices is to have a really strong prephrase. It's easier to recognize what you are looking for than it is to think about if each answer choice answers the question given without any idea of what you are looking for. Often, you can create a checklist of things that you want the correct answer choice to do, and then you can test any answer choices you think are possible against that test.

Low accuracy often means that you need to slow down in a section. Your goal is to get as many questions correct as you can. That may mean seeing fewer questions but being more accurate on the ones that you DO see.

In terms of the word issues, try to assume the plain reading of the words. You may need to break down an answer choice bit by bit. A phrase like "one must infer" means that "it must be the case that...." for example. You may want to keep a running list for yourself of terms that trip you up, and how the test uses those terms.

Overall, keep at it! Make sure you are doing plenty of untimed practice to increase your accuracy and take your time on test reviews so that you can go through all the questions with a fine tooth comb (after you've done the timed version of the PT, of course). There's no race when it comes to this test. It takes as long to learn the skills as it takes for each individual person. Give your brain the chance to take the time you need to learn these skills, and you'll see your score increase.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.