LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to LSAT Logical Reasoning.
 cmanganiello
|
I have read through the chapter on justify the conclusion questions in the powerscore bibe about three times. I understand the mechanistic approach and this approach worked for the questions in the drill at the end of the chapter.
I just went ahead and moved on to the drill set in the analytic package and am beyond lost. I am able to successfully identify the conclusion and premise(s), but I am having trouble locating the "new" information that should be present in the answer choice. Is there an easier way to complete these types of question? I tried to apply the justify formula, but when I plug in the various answer choices, they all seem to make sense and I am even more confused.
Can someone please help me out with this? I feel totally lost and discouraged.
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi cmanganiello

Great question. It sounds like you are on the right track with your thought process, but you need to focus your attack a bit more. New information is information that wasn't addressed in any of the premises. Often, this will be a subtle shift, and you'll need to notice how terms and ideas have shifted in the argument. Imagine you have an argument where the premises are all about feeling emotionally guilty, but the conclusion is about legal guilt. The correct answer for a justify question would need to connect those two concepts.

Often I think what trips people up a lot in justify questions is that the answer choices will often all look plausible. You might have an answer choice that strengthens the argument but isn't enough to prove it. You might see an answer choice that is required for the argument, but doesn't prove it. It's likely that all five of your answer choices will help the argument in some way. You need to find the one answer choice that proves the conclusion follows.

Personally, I really like this podcast about justify questions.

Keep it up.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.