LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to LSAT Logical Reasoning.
 lenihil
|
I think analogy is a kind of evidence. Or not? :-?

Thank you in advance for your help! So confused!
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi leni,

I agree with you, so good instincts! Assuming the analogy is an apt one (i.e., that the two things being compared through the analogy are relevantly similar), then an analogy can be what we might call indirect evidence for a conclusion. Indirect evidence is not direct proof of the matter at issue (direct proof would be like a video that shows me committing the crime, when you're trying to prove I'm guilty of the crime). But it is evidence that you can validly use to draw an inference about the matter at issue.

Let us know if that helps!
 lenihil
|
Jeremy Press wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:16 pm Hi leni,

I agree with you, so good instincts! Assuming the analogy is an apt one (i.e., that the two things being compared through the analogy are relevantly similar), then an analogy can be what we might call indirect evidence for a conclusion. Indirect evidence is not direct proof of the matter at issue (direct proof would be like a video that shows me committing the crime, when you're trying to prove I'm guilty of the crime). But it is evidence that you can validly use to draw an inference about the matter at issue.

Let us know if that helps!
Thank you Jeremy! That helps a lot! ;)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.