LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to LSAT Logical Reasoning.
 PatMcGroin
|
I came across this statement from PT39 S2 Q18. Wondering if I can get help with diagramming it:

No one without a deep desire to communicate can be a blues musician.

I translated it to "If you are a blues musician, you have a deep desire to communicate." I diagrammed it as

Blues Musician :arrow: Deep Desire to Communicate

Am I correct, or completely out to lunch? Thanks!
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Pat,

Looks like you're skipping lunch! What you said looks perfect to me.

I think there are two ways to get to your result:

First way: Use the Unless Equation. "Without" is one of the four words (unless, except, until, without) that trigger the Unless Equation. To employ that equation, we follow these steps:

Step 1: Whatever "without" modifies is the necessary condition. So "a deep desire to communicate" is necessary.

Step 2: Negate the other part of the statement. That negation becomes the sufficient condition. The other part here is "No one...can be a blues musician." This is already negative. When we negate it, the double negations cancel, so we get, as a sufficient, "can be a blues musician."

That's your diagram.

Second way: Exploit the fact that the statement is structured as a "No thing with quality X has quality Y" conditional statement. "No thing with quality X has quality Y" is equivalent to "Anything with quality X lacks quality Y," or "If X then not-Y." So we get: "If you don't have a deep desire to communicate, you can't be a blues musician." You can keep that or contrapose it - the contrapositive says "If you are to be a blues musician, you must have a deep desire to communicate," which again gets diagrammed like what you said.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.