LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=15203)

The correct answer choice is (D)

If R is alone in her group, we know we have a 3-2-1 distribution, with R as the single, and group M as the double. We also know that R’s group cannot be M for the same reason. Thus, R must be assigned to either L or P. This may once again warrant two separate local diagrams, as shown below.
PT79_Game_#3_#17_diagram 1.png
In either solution, we need to ensure that Y and V are kept in separate groups. Consequently, either Y or V must be assigned to M, and thus the ST block cannot be assigned to M:
PT79_Game_#3_#17_diagram 2.png
It is now time to consider the implications of the last rule: Z and Y must both be assigned to P if either one of them is. Placing either Y or Z into P would be impossible in either solution, as it would exceed the number of variables allowed for P (Local Setup 1, where P would have four people) or with R (Local Setup 2, since R must be alone in this question).

Accordingly, neither Z nor Y can be assigned to P, forcing Z to always be assigned to M:
PT79_Game_#3_#17_diagram 3.png
To answer this Must Be True question, focus on the consistency between the two solutions: in both of them Z is assigned to M, confirming that answer choice (D) is correct.

Answer choice (A): This answer choice is incorrect, because the ST block can also be assigned to P.

Answer choice (B): This answer choice is incorrect, because V can be assigned to any of the three groups.

Answer choice (C): This answer choice is incorrect, because Y can also be assigned to L.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E): This answer choice is incorrect, because the ST block can be assigned to either L or P.
 eugenie
|
Could someone please explain the difference between answers C and D. I am thinking of two diagrams one where R is assigned to pricing that way , s,t and y goes in labor and Z must be assigned to Markets , then I have R assigned to Labour , s,t and v assigned to pricing and y,z markets . I know I am missing something but am not sure what hence I was stuck between answers C and D.

Thank you
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi, Eugenie,

Great question!

The distinction arises between the interplay of the following rules:
  1. S :dbl: T
  2. V :dblline: Y
  3. Exactly two in Marketing
When R is placed by itself, it has to go in Pricing or Labor. Clearly, it could not go in Marketing because of rule 3 above. Consider the possibilities:
  1. L = {S, T, (Y/V)} M = {Z, (V/Y)} P = {R}
  2. L = {R} M = {Y, Z} P = {S, T, V}
In either case, Z is in Markets. Consider Answer Choice (C). Scenario 1 above illustrates how R could be by itself in Production with Y in Labor.

I hope this helps!
 eugenie
|
Got it !

Thank you.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.