LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

ellenb
|
Dear Powerscore,

I did this passage however I had the following questions on the questions:

On question number 22:
The correct answer is E, however I was wondering why it is not C. I thought is is because in the passage it says that the act attempts to eliminate racial discrimination however answer choice says it eliminates discriminatory disparities, so maybe it is too strong of an answer?
and why answer choice E is right? the passage does not exactly say that it governs hiring practices in a wider variety of workplaces it says that it is prohibiting employers from making employment decisions on the basis of race.

On question number 25:
in the passage line 14-15 they mention something about having marginal impact on economic progress however in the answer it says that it has little effect on racially discriminatory behavior, thus racially discriminatory behavior and economic progress is not exactly the same thing, correct? however in this answer they make it appear as it is, so I am a bit confused, and I would like to clarify my confusion.

On question number 27:

I actually got this question correct, however I would still like to know why the right answer is the right answer, I thought that the analogy is based on line 17, about historical forces changed, so why is this answer correct, I just want to make sure.

Regards,

Ellen
 Lucas Moreau
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello, ellenb;

Question 22: For this one, you'd want to focus on the first paragraph that talks about Title VII and Executive Order 11,246. Answer choice C is wrong because there's no reference to wages in the description of either federal act.

Answer choice E is correct because, while Executive Order 11,246 only prohibits discrimination in government contracting jobs, Title VII prohibits all employers, public and private, from discriminating. Title VII casts a wider net and covers more types of workplaces than Executive Order 11,246. :)

Question 25: This one is a little abstract, admittedly. :ras: Answer choice C is the best answer, because of the "marginal impact" you discuss. The proponents of the "continuous change" theory clearly believe that legislation (United States federal law) has had little impact on economic progress, yes.

The economic progress is linked to the racially discriminatory behavior, because black people were being underpaid because of racially discriminatory behavior. If they were making economic progress, their wages were rising, which means that racially discriminatory behavior was losing influence. Does that make sense? 8-)

Question 27: This is another abstract one. These two gave people the most trouble on the LSAT. I'm glad you got it right. Well done! :-D Anyway, it's about changing circumstances. That's what is meant by "slowly evolving historical forces". Black people made economic progress, the theory claims, in large part because of increasing quality of education for black students during that time.

The changing state of the economy mentioned in answer choice D is a good example of one of these "slowly evolving historical forces". An change in the economic situation leads to the ending of the housing shortage, which leads to rent falling in the area, which leads to people living in the area having more free time and more disposable income, both of which are good for local economies. The entire community could benefit over time. :)

Hope that helps,
Lucas Moreau

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.