LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

LSAT99.9
|
The answer says that B can occur alone, which I do understand. However, why can't G occur alone, isn't it like a floater?

thank you!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
That is a great, and difficult, drill - I'm glad you are working through it.

You're right that G is a random variable, with no rules attached to it, but that doesn't mean that G operates in a vacuum, unaffected by the other rules. Take a look at the second rule, about B not occurring - if G was alone, then B would not occur, but then what happens? Either H or I has to occur! So G cannot be the only variable to occur, because it would then be joined by H or I (and further bringing in either E and F or else K). Randoms (or floaters, if you prefer) may have no rules that name them, but they still have to play within the larger context of all the rules.

Take another look and give it another try. That drill is more complex than any grouping game I have ever seen, but it's great practice for applying the concepts, especially building conditional chains in grouping games. Have at it! Good luck!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.