LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is a Basic Linear: Balanced, Identify the Templates game.

In this game, six employes are assigned six parking spaces. Because the parking spaces are numbered, they make the best base for the game:

R S T V X Y 6
powerscore_M12_T4_O2011_LG_explanations_game_1_diagram_1.png
The first three rules are identical in nature, and each can be diagrammed as follows:

• 1st Rule: ..... T—— Y

2nd Rule: ..... S —— X

3rd Rule: ..... Y—— R

Of course, the first and third rules can be combined to form a chain:

• T —— Y—— R

That chain, along with the second rule, yields eight Not Laws:
powerscore_M12_T4_O2011_LG_explanations_game_1_diagram_2.png
The fourth and final rule has a significant impact on the setup. As indicated by the Not Laws above, R cannot be assigned space #1 or #2. Thus, when the fourth rule stipulates that R must be assigned one of the first four spaces, we can infer that R must be assigned space #3 or space #4. This creates a two-value system for R, and also creates two additional R Not Laws on spaces #5 and #6:
powerscore_M12_T4_O2011_LG_explanations_game_1_diagram_3.png
This diagram also indicates that parking space #6 has serious limitations (only V or X can be assigned space #6), and that fact, along with the limited number of placement options for R, suggests that the best approach to this game is to create templates based on the position of R.

Template #1: R is assigned space #3

When R is assigned space #3, from the first and third rules, T and Y must be assigned spaces #1 and #2, respectively. The remaining three spaces must be assigned to S, X, and V:
powerscore_M12_T4_O2011_LG_explanations_game_1_diagram_4.png
Templates #2 and #3: R is assigned space #4

When R is assigned space #4, T and Y must be assigned in the group of spaces #1, #2, and #3, with either S or V filling the third space among that group. This leads to two templates:

Template #2: R is assigned space #4, S is assigned to one of the first three spaces

When S is assigned among the first three spaces with T and Y, then V and X are assigned spaces #5 and #6 in some order:
powerscore_M12_T4_O2011_LG_explanations_game_1_diagram_5.png
Template #3: R is assigned space #4, V is assigned to one of the first three spaces

When V is assigned among the first three spaces with T and Y, then from the second rule S and X are assigned spaces #5 and #6 respectively:
powerscore_M12_T4_O2011_LG_explanations_game_1_diagram_6.png
These three templates comprise the complete setup to the game. Please note that V is a random.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 jackbenimble106
|
Hi there!

What's your advice on when to diagram complete scenario templates and when not to? In my practice test I totally blew this problem by inverting the left/right relationship - in my head I mistakenly thought left was higher and right was lower - so I did pretty poorly. But I feel like even if I had gotten that correct I wouldn't have thought to diagram complete template solutions.

What are your thoughts?
 Ryan Twomey
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey jackbenimble106,

Ahhhhh. It is always tragic when you get the diagram wrong. I'm sure that will happen less as you do more games.

The reason we do templates here, is because R can be placed in one of two spots, greatly restricting the game. You could do 2 templates or break it into 3 templates as the instructor did above. Any time you see a binary that will greatly restrict the game and make your life easier, you can do templates.

Other great templates are as follows:

1. Sequencing blocks. An example would be A and B have one space in between them with A coming before B.

2. Grouping blocks. An example would be A and B are in the same group.

3. Or rules: A is before B or A is before C but not both.

4. Numerical restrictions: lets say you have groups A, B, and C, and group A can have either two students in their group or 3 students in their group or 4 students in their group. You could play out these three templates.

5. A sequencing chain--- the above example was a long sequencing chain that restricted R going into either spot three or spot four.

6. Powerful conditional--- example--- if A is in slot 1 then B is in slot 3. If this rule forced a lot of other things around, you could play out one template where A is in slot 1 and then a second template where A is not in slot 1. When you do this you get one good template and one bad template.

These are probably the six most common times I do templates, but I would say just continue doing as many timed game sections as you can and then review the games sections untimed. Look to explanations in the forums or try and look for templates on your own, and eventually you will get great at games.

Hope this helps!!!!

Best,
Ryan
 jackbenimble106
|
Thanks, Ryan!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.