LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

karlaurrea
|
AMAZING!!! How one tiny overlook makes a huge difference.... THANKS!!! :D
 srcline@noctrl.edu
|
Hello

So the explanations on the setup really helped me better understand this game, I had originally set up 5 slots, but like the explanations have stated this overlooks the constraints that are placed on G R W T S. However, I'm still a bit confused on why there is a GG block, G cant go in the half hour time slots b/c the first rule states that G can only go in the hour time slots, so 1, 2,3. Also the second rule states that T starts on the half hour rather than the hour, so T could be 1:30, 2:30 and 3:30 right?

For the third rule I diagrammed this as W>T :arrow: WT (block)
contra (+) as : If not WT :arrow: W is not earlier than T
is this right? For this reason I chose answer choice A for 17, bc B had Generations at the end, wouldnt this put G in a half hour time slot?

Thankyou
Sarah
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi, Sarah,

Good questions.

We represent G as a GG block because it takes up an entire hour; it must start on the hour but continues through the subsequent half hour time slot. You are correct G (or GG :-) ) must start at 1, 2, or 3 o'clock and must be the 1st, 3rd, or 5th program shown.

You are also correct that T must be shown at either 1:30, 2:30, or 3:30 but can come anywhere in order except first (because it cannot be shown at 1 o'clock).

The contrapositive of the conditional does not really shed much light on the possibilities here. It ends up looking like a tautology:
  • T -- W :arrow: T -- W
When you write a conditional, consider the contrapositive but do not feel obligated to write redundant or nonsensical ones. Simply consider what the possibilities are if the necessary condition isn't met.

With respect to question 17, answer choice B, with G 5th, means G begins at 3 pm and takes up the whole hour. Answer choice A forces T into the 3 pm time slot, violating the T half hour rule.
 cfu1
|
I understand the set up that was suggested (having 6 half hour slots instead of 5), but I find that to be confusing especially since there are only 5 programs! For example, in question 20, is S is the third program, that could mean that S starts at 2:00PM or 2:30PM. Would we set up two different templates and see where that takes us?
 AthenaDalton
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
cfu1 wrote:I understand the set up that was suggested (having 6 half hour slots instead of 5), but I find that to be confusing especially since there are only 5 programs! For example, in question 20, is S is the third program, that could mean that S starts at 2:00PM or 2:30PM. Would we set up two different templates and see where that takes us?
Hi cfu,

Yes, sketching out two diagrams is a good approach.

Using 6 half-hour slots instead of 5 is helpful in dealing with some of the time restrictions in the game -- e.g. that program G must start on the hour and that program T must start on the half-hour. I made a note that program G must start in an odd space and T must go in an even space to account for this rule.

I also represented program G as [G1G2] so that it would actually take up two spaces on the linear diagram.

Good luck!

Athena Dalton

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.