LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

lathlee
|
Hi. I got this question two times wrong before and the reason is following:

in line 67, witch trials in salem and beyond as indicative, i thought that beyond as future. but according to the authors beyond means Europe. this is why i eliminated E as the correcr answer twice prior and chose A) as the correct answer . also witch trials as in not really of literally witch trials but of sense in how Mr. Trump used as , political witch hunt, as in picking out and attack as witch hunt.

Now I know A and E both contain main point elements of passage B . what am i doing wrong here

what i am doing wrong here
Last edited by lathlee on Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
(Note this is actually on 8-94)

Hi Lathlee,

There's a reason that the term "witch trials" is used instead of "witch hunt:" trials is an unambiguous reference to literally putting people on trial for witchcraft, whereas witch hunt is almost always used metaphorically to describe a purge of people on unwarranted and baseless grounds. Actually putting people on trial for witchcraft in the future, while possible, is not likely, nor does the author of passage B suggest that it would be, so answer choice (A) is suspect on those grounds. More importantly, B seems concerned with drawing lessons from the witch trials about patriarchal society rather than worried about a possible recurrence.

Answer choice (E) fits more closely with this understanding, as it describes the switch trials as a symptom of patriarchal society, rather than as simply a social ill in their own right.

Hope this clears things up!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.