LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

sgrimsdale
|
Hi there,

I just completed the reading comprehension practice in Chapter 8, Comparative Reading Passages, Passage Set 3 (Water on Mars) and I am a little confused by no. 5. I understand why D is correct, but I'm not quite certain why B is incorrect. Is it because B refers to the chlorine and bromine as "proof" rather than "evidence", or is it a topic issue and I am not reading closely enough?

Thanks for your help!

S
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sarah,

You're on the right track here! The findings of chlorine and bromine merely support the hypothesis of the existence of earlier marine environment (line 45). However, the author of passage B never says that these findings constitute definitive proof that water existed on Mars: "... these findings are far from conclusive" (lines 63-64). Since answer choice (B) cannot be proven by reference to Passage B, it is incorrect.

Let me know if this clears things up!

Haleyeastham
|
I am confused on the following question from this passage-

3) how is answer choice A consistent with passage B? I am not understanding how I could have inferred something so specific

Thank you!
 jeff.wren
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Haley,

In this question, the words "is consistent with" simply mean that passage B doesn't contradict this answer. As long as you can find evidence in passage A that supports the answer and there is nothing in passage B to contradict the answer, that is fine.

Answer choice (A) is directly supported by lines 1-3 of passage A. Lines 52-57 of passage B mention that while there have been three decades of orbiting spacecraft, the scientists haven't had such definitive evidence until now ("never before"). This new evidence is consistent with being the recent evidence mentioned in passage A, even though it isn't explicitly stated.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Best,
Jeff
 andbzav@gmail.com
|
Hi,

I'm having trouble with passage set 3 question 1. Answer choice E states "there is current scientific evidence which supports the conclusion that liquid water has existed on Mars."

How can this AC be correct given the last sentence of passage B - " Further analysis...is needed before scientists can definitively conclude that there was once liquid water on Mars."??

Thank you
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi andbzav,

The distinction is a subtle one! Remember, there can be evidence that supports (i.e., makes more likely) a conclusion, without that evidence definitively proving that conclusion. Let's say we know a defendant in a robbery case was near the scene of the robbery at the time it occurred. That evidence supports the conclusion that the defendant committed the robbery. But does it prove the conclusion that the defendant committed the robbery? No, we'll need more evidence to be sure (definitive) about the conclusion.

The same principle is applicable here: there is evidence in the passage that supports the conclusion liquid water has existed on Mars (chlorine and bromine), but that does not mean such evidence definitively proves that liquid water has existed on Mars.

I hope this helps!

Jeremy
 andbzav@gmail.com
|
So subtle. Thank you Jeremy.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.