LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

kirstenjm3
|
Hello,

Can I have some clarification as to why the answer of question 25 in the Major Concepts Quiz is B and not D?

The question reads: "If" is to "when" as "unless" is to:
A. never
B. until (correct)
C. only
D. except
E. then

I am confused because I thought unless, until and except are all necessary condition indicators so I don't understand why D is incorrect, in this case. Is there some other relationship between these words that I have missed?

Thanks!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Good question, and the answer is subtle. You are right that D is also one of our special necessary condition indicators - unless, except, until and without. The difference here is in what I call the force of language, which is the term I use to talk about certainty vs probability vs possibility vs opinion. "If" is an uncertain sufficient condition indicator, "when" is a certain sufficient condition indicator (meaning that "when" suggests that something will definitely happen). In the same way, "unless" is an uncertain necessary condition indicator (maybe the condition happens, maybe not) while "until" is a certain necessary condition indicator (it's going to happen at some point). "Except" lacks that degree of certainty, and so is not as good an answer as "until."

I hope that helped! Good luck in your continued studies.
 kirstenjm3
|
Yes, this clears it up perfectly. Thank you!
 Blueballoon5%
|
Adam Tyson wrote:Good question, and the answer is subtle. You are right that D is also one of our special necessary condition indicators - unless, except, until and without. The difference here is in what I call the force of language, which is the term I use to talk about certainty vs probability vs possibility vs opinion. "If" is an uncertain sufficient condition indicator, "when" is a certain sufficient condition indicator (meaning that "when" suggests that something will definitely happen). In the same way, "unless" is an uncertain necessary condition indicator (maybe the condition happens, maybe not) while "until" is a certain necessary condition indicator (it's going to happen at some point). "Except" lacks that degree of certainty, and so is not as good an answer as "until."

I hope that helped! Good luck in your continued studies.
Hi Adam! Could you explain how "unless" is uncertain. To me, it sounds certain. For example, I might say, "I will not make dinner unless you agree to wash the dishes afterwards." To me, this seems pretty strong.

Hope you (or someone else) can help! Thank you!
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Blueballoon,

The distinction Adam (and by extension the analogy in the question itself) is making is that "if," as a sufficient indicator, does not by itself imply that the condition will or will not occur, only that it could occur, while "when" does connote that the condition does occur, at least in some instances.

Similarly, "unless" connotes a necessary condition that may or may not happen, implying that it won't happen except in cases where the person being addressed wishes the sufficient condition to also occur (ie "Henry won't get his allowance unless he cleans his room." The room in this example may never be cleaned, depending on how much Henry wants his allowance). Whereas "until" connotes something that at some unspecified time in the future will definitely happen ("Henry won't get his allowance until he cleans his room;" this implies Henry will clean his room at some point) The distinction is subtle, but it is there.

Hope this helps!
 T.B.Justin
|
In lesson 8, major concepts quiz (8-21), Question 7:

The relationship between traveling to Reno by car and winning money can be best described as a positive correlation.

I am wondering about the usage of the word "every," in the sentence concerning the affect on that relationship, it seems there is a temporal order and something physical that occurs that results in winning money.

I assume that cause and effect goes too far in this instance- how come?

Additionally, Question 19 (8-24):

The best way to weaken a conditional relationship is to disprove that the necessary condition must occur.

This is negating the necessary condition, correct?

Hey James,

Finally, Question 25 (8-25):

"If" is to "when" as "unless" is to "until"

As I understand it, currently, "if" is hypothetical in nature (may or may not happen) and "when" is temporal in nature (something that does occur, at least in some instances) Can you give me an example where using "when" something doesn't occur.

Thanks!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I'll see if I can help, T.B.

For question 7, there is only a correlation given. The author never says that one thing leads to, produces, results in, or causes the other. Saying it is causal is making our own assumptions about what the author said, when all he did was give a correlation. If he had made a causal conclusion, it would be flawed, because correlation never proves causation, but he didn't make that mistake.

For q19, showing that a necessary condition doesn't need to occur is not quite the same as negating the necessary condition. Here's the difference:

If I win the lottery, I will retire

Negating the necessary condition is:

If I win the lottery, I will not retire

Disproving that the necessary condition must occur is:

Even if I win the lottery, I might not retire. I don't have to. It's not necessary. Maybe I will, maybe I won't.

For the purposes of the Assumption Negation Technique, if you are negating an answer that is itself a conditional claim, you want to do the latter, not the former. Show that the necessary condition is unnecessary, not that it cannot happen.

Finally, "when" can be used lots of ways without certainty! How about when Dad says "you'll get that tattoo when hell freezes over, buddy!" Or "I'll buy you a car when you get straight A's on your report card." (You've really awakened the Dad-monster in me here!)
 T.B.Justin
|
Thanks Adam! :)

If an author uses a correlation to conclude something is causal, that is wrong(flawed), since correlation never proves causality (got it!)

This correlation and causal contrast, reminded me of an assumption question, with a causal argument (causal claim was made in the premise)

Here is the link if you're interested: (Methane released in mars atmosphere)

lsat/viewtopic.php?f=480&t=6964

The best way to weaken a conditional statement is to disprove that necessary condition must occur, show that it is unnecessary, may or may not happen (got it!)

And, this is the proper way to negate conditional statements, in assumption questions, using the assumption negation technique, show that the necessary condition is unnecessary, may or may not happen. (got it!)

I'll have to try that with my son, You'll get to go to Dave and Buster's WHEN you finish all your supplemental reading and math work this week! (Then will be begin to try and reason his way around that!) :roll:

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.