LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The third game appears at first glance to be a standard Basic Linear game, with six auction items--H through V--placed sequentially into six spots, 1-6. Simple enough. The numbers match for a 1:1 distribution, there's no excess or empty spaces, no recycled variables...if anything the scenario here is the easiest on the test thus far.

The rules however proved to be anything but simple.

Well, I should clarify that statement. Two of the rules, #1 and #3, are quite simple: S cannot go in 1, and must go earlier than both M and V. Those should be familiar to even a novice test taker. They also lead to a handful of clear Not Laws: S is not in 1, 5, or 6; M is not in 1 or 2; V is not in 1 or 2. (M and V can't go in 2 because that would put S in 1 and break the first rule)

It's rules 2 and 4 that caused issues. Let's look at them individually:

Rule 2: this is a conditional sequencing rule, where H earlier than L triggers the sequence M before L. That sounds clear enough, but it caused people a lot of problems. Essentially this rule allows for three unique sequences, while only disallowing one:

Allowed: H/M --- L (this is what happens when H is before L: H and M are both before L)

Allowed: L --- H/M (this is what could happen when H is NOT before L: H and M are both after L)

Allowed: M --- L --- H (this is also possible when H is not before L)

Not Allowed: H --- L --- M (this is the only sequence that violates the rule; with H ahead of L, M must also be ahead of L)

So really what that rule does is eliminate a single possibility, H --- L --- M. Beyond that anything goes. L ahead of, or after, both H and M? Fine. L between H and M? Fine, as long as M is first. These possibilities are a killer if you don't catch them all. Be careful with conditional sequencing.

Rule 4: this is also a conditional sequencing rule, albeit less obviously conditional than rule 2. We talk a lot about this exact construct in our books and courses so I'll spare you too much detail here, but suffice it to say that only two possible sequences can occur with H, T, and V:

H --- T --- V

V --- T --- H

Essentially T must always be placed between H and V (it's always earlier than one, but not the other, so it gets sandwiched), whatever H and V's order. That also produces two Not Laws for T: T can't be first or last.

That's great, and leaves us with the following diagram thus far:
game 3-1.JPG
Now, with the rules comfortably in hand, we need to quickly consider additional inferences that might be made, either from ideas we've noted but not explored, or from rule linkage (shared variables in multiple rules that begin to affect one another).

The only thing we've really found so far but not probed for consequences is the outlawed sequence from rule 2, where we can never have H --- L --- M. Is there anywhere we could put L that would force H --- L --- M? Yes. Two places, in fact. If we put L in 2, as you can see from the diagram above, that places H in 1. Meaning H 1, L 2, and M somewhere after L in 3-6. That's the forbidden sequence, so L can never be in 2. What about L in 3? Once again, that puts H in 1, but can we get M ahead of L and avoid the violation? Nope. We know that M is after S from rule 3, and there's no room for S ahead of M if H is 1 and M is 2 (we also have a Not Law saying no M in 2). So M between H and L is impossible with L in 3, meaning we'd end up with the impossible H --- L --- M again, and thus L cannot go in 3 either.

So your final diagram (or at least the one I took to the questions with me), is this:
Game 3-2.JPG
As for the questions, they become much, much easier with the setup above, but there are still a few twists and turns to navigate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 Etsevdos
|
Would you recommend trying to break out into two templates: H in slot 1 and L in slot 1?
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Etsevdos,

It's a good idea to break down a game into two or three templates when your starting division (in this case, only H or L can be placed in slot 1) yields additional inferences. Since placing H or L into slot 1 does not yield any necessary inferences, I would not suggest that you break this game down into two templates based on that either/or.
 gcs4v333
|
I wasted a lot of time initially setting this up as a pure sequencing game, figuring that it would take a long time to set up four different templates (with H :longline: L and L :longline: H combined with both V :longline: T :longline: H and H :longline: T :longline: V) but that I'd be rewarded when I crushed the questions in two minutes.

That, however, did not happen. It became impossible to make a tenable diagram. But by the time I realized that the problem didn't suit my setup (as opposed to me just having missed something) too much time had passed and I dove into the questions hoping my diagrams would give me enough information to at least have a fighting chance. They didn't, and I got everything wrong, save the first question.

So, my question is: how could I have seen that this wasn't a pure sequencing setup? Or at least that multiple sequencing diagrams wouldn't have helped me? The fact that the position of H is unfixed in two of the rules? Or is it just something you have to have a feel for?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Good question, gcs4v333, and given how rare a truly "pure" sequencing game is these days, an important one! For me, the key indicators that you should do templates are 1) the conditional nature of the second rule and 2) the "but not both" aspect of the last rule. Either of these would, on their own, suggest to me that I should split the diagram along the variable lines those rules create. Combined, it makes me absolutely certain that I should do that.

This is how the authors of the test have been making sequencing games more challenging in recent years, by taking what used to a be a straightforward before/after situation and turning it into a multi-layered, multiple-diagram game. When I see a "but not both" rule, I look to see what the two possibilities are, and I strongly consider two diagrams to reflect both. When I see a conditional rule, I think about THREE possible diagrams: 1) the sufficient happens, which means the necessary must happen; 2) the necessary does not happen, so the sufficient cannot happen (the contrapositive); and 3) the necessary happens but the sufficient does not (this is the one that is most frequently overlooked, and is therefore likely to be tested).

Seeing that both of these happen in these rules, I brace myself for possibly doing SIX diagrams, and I hope (and expect) that the rules will make at least one of them impossible. Once I am mentally prepared for doing that work, I do it, knowing that while it may take a little while to complete, when I am done I will have everything I need to blow through the questions in no time at all. My investment WILL pay off big dividends!

Beware conditional rules and "but not both" rules, and consider templates when you encounter them. They won't always be required, but they should at least be on your radar at that point.

Good luck!
 nowornever
|
I treated this game as a pure sequencing game, and it worked out very well.
Afterwards, I came to the forum and reviewed your setup, and was surprised that it was treated as a linear game. So, I went through and re-did it, doing the set-up and diagramming in a similar manner to what you outlined above. However, I found it took me longer to go through the questions than it did the first time I did the game (when diagramming as a sequencing game).

I basically combined Rule 3 and Rule 4 into two separate diagrams. Then, I tried to incorporate Rule 2 into those templates.
In the first case, L could not go after H since it would force S into spot 1. So, I inferred that L must be first.

In the second template, I incorporated Rule 2 by creating two separate options for the position of L in relation to H. It looked a little awkward, but it seemed to do the trick. I've attached a picture that will hopefully make this more clear.

In this case, I managed to get through the questions fairly quickly. I'm worried, though, that had the rules been slightly different, I may not have been able to come up with templates so easily. My question, therefore, is this: Should I avoid practising these games as a sequencing game? Will it come back to bite me?
I'm a little worried since when I treated it as a linear game and diagrammed using Not LawsTM ;) I found the questions to be much more difficult and much more time consuming.

I know that in the end, I should do whatever works best for me, but I'm worried that I could be caught off guard on test day by practising linear games as sequencing. Did I just get lucky in this question that the rules allowed me to eliminate certain templates as viable options?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 smaani
|
Hi, your explanation of Rule #4 shows that you didn't think it possible for T to be after both H and V. I read Rule #4 as open to the possibility that T could not be earlier than either H or V.. (not earlier than both, but possibly earlier than neither). Why is this the wrong reading?
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi nowornever!

Your templates are correct. But doing sequencing templates does not mean you cannot use Not Laws, and vice versa.

Here is how I would set up this game:
Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 1.32.08 PM.png
In a sense, there isn't a big difference between Pure Sequencing games and Basic Linear games. It's just that Pure Sequencing games only have sequencing rules, while Basic Linear games have additional rules as well. If you want to think of this one as a Pure Sequencing game, there's nothing inherently wrong with that. It's about getting the necessary inferences in the game. You got those inferences through your templates. But you could also get some of them through Not Laws. And you can always do both!

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi smaani!

Rule #4 states "The table is auctioned on an earlier date than the harmonica or on an earlier date than the vase, but not both."

There are really two parts to this rule:
1.) T is earlier than H or V
2.) T is not earlier than both H and V

Based on this, we know that T must be earlier than either H or V, but not both.

With an "or" rule like this, one of the options must happen. So in this case we must have T earlier than H or V. If the rule did not include "but not both" then it would have left open the possibility that T was earlier than both H and V, but it still would have had to have been earlier than at least one of them.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 nowornever
|
Thanks a lot, Kelsey!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.