LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=6962)

The correct answer choice is (B)

To attack this question, use proper List question technique: take one rule and apply it to all answer choices, then take another rule, and apply it to the remaining answer choices, and so on, until only one answer choice remains.

Answer choice (A): This answer choice violates the fifth rule and is therefore incorrect.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C): This answer choice violates the fourth rule and is therefore incorrect.

Answer choice (D): This answer choice violates the third rule and is therefore incorrect.

Answer choice (E): This answer choice violates the second rule and is therefore incorrect.
 Owl224
|
Hello! I just want to confirm one thing about the last rule ("if N is selected, V cannot be selected.") Does this mean both N and V can be in the "OUT" column, hence why B would be the correct answer? I was just a bit confused about why B would be the answer if one of N or V are not in the "IN" column, but I believe I might be misunderstanding this last rule. Thanks!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Owl,

Our last rule doesn't tell us what happens if N or V is out. It only tells us what happens if they are in. We can have them both out, but we cannot have them both in. We don't want to think of the out group as a group in the same way that we think of the selected items as a group. We use the out group to help us track variables, but it doesn't have the same rules apply. For example, if G is in the out group, O could still be in the items selected.

Hope that helps!
 Owl224
|
@Rachael Wilkenfeld

This makes so much sense -- thank you so, so much!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.