LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post below with any questions!
 mokkyukkyu
|
Hi,

What makes D wrong?
I thought it captures the second and 3rd paragraph...if I am not confused with the two systems...
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi mokkyukkyu,

To help you figure out where you went wrong here, please provide a detailed breakdown of how you understood the question you’re asking about. Since you’re asking about a Reading Comprehension question, we expect to see evidence that you were able to do the following:
  • Correctly identify the type of question in the stem.
  • If the stem refers to a specific concept in the passage, identify where in the passage this concept was discussed.
  • If the stem allows for a paraphrasable answer, tell us what it was. (Don't be afraid if your prephrase was off).
  • Assuming this is a Must Be True question, as most RC questions are, what textual evidence do you have supporting your choice of (incorrect) answer.
  • Why do you believe the correct answer choice is not supported by the passage?.
The more you tell us about your method of approach, the better we can help you figure it out. :)

Thanks!
 dudleym
|
Hi Powerscore,
I was able to narrow the answer choices down to A and D but ultimately choose D, the wrong choice. I understand why A is correct but I want to make sure I understand why D is incorrect.

I realize that it is a Main Point question type, and I choose D because I thought it was supported by the beginning of the last paragraph, "The token system, essentially a system of three-dimensional nouns, was replaced in about 3100 B.C....The eventual evolution of this system into mature writing" (lines 38-44).

Is D wrong because "evolution of this system into mature writing" does not equate with "evolved into modern languages?" Now that I have reread the passage, "evolved into modern languages" does seem like a stretch.

Thank you for your feedback,
Michelle
 nicholaspavic
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Michelle,

Yes. That is exactly why Answer Option (D) is the incorrect choice here. The passage's concluding paragraph limits itself only to a discussion of writing and does not extend to the language aspect of (D). Answer (A) is therefore the superior choice as it addresses "abstract written language" which the sentence you cite repeats. Remember that a main point question is nothing more than a Must Be True question and that your correct answer choice will have to pass the Fact Test when referring to passage. So don't let them change or exaggerate that idea on you when you are hunting for the right answer for a Main Point Question. Thanks for the great question! :-D
 Roughly4000BC
|
Hello. I narrowed this question down to both A and D. Both sounded fair at first glance, so I looked for flaws within A, and assumed that stating "tokens dating to roughly 4000 BC" is incorrect because the tokens were never ascribed to 4000 BC. We are given "some dating to before 4000 BC." We have "after 4000 BC hundreds of new token forms developed." And, "the token system, ..., was replaced in about 3100 BC." So at the very least the token system spanned 901 years, but potentially multiples of thousands of years.

Should I have looked more carefully at D, then having all answer choices eliminated, go with A because it is 'more likely' correct (D is wrong for stating modern languages)? Or should I just simply be able to recognize that the tokens are roughly from 4000 BC? thanks
 katehos
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Roughly4000BC!

A very apt username for this question 8-) Since answer choice (A) uses the phrase "roughly" 4000 B.C., we don't need the passage itself to assert the tokens were made in 4000 B.C. specifically. The phrase "roughly" accounts for a similar degree of uncertainty as noted in the passage (some tokens before, some after) so that phrasing isn't reason enough to eliminate (A). In fact, like you mentioned, (A) is the correct answer so we definitely don't want to eliminate it!

Answer choice (D), on the other hand, overextends itself to an extent that the passage cannot support. By saying that these tokens showed a way in which a simple system "evolved into modern language", (D) goes beyond the text and cannot pass the Fact Test. Good job noting that!

I hope this helps! :)
Kate
 LSATLover4
|
I got this question wrong. I eliminated answers B, C, and E because the statements were too strong. They used the words "confirms" and "resolve". Schmandt-Besserat didn't confirm or resolve the question. She put forth a theory that explained it. Am I correct to exclude B, C, and E because of the words "confirm" and resolve"?

This left me to choose between A and D. I wasn't thrilled with either answer. I didn't like D because the theory didn't evolve "into modern language". I didn't like A because it said that Schmandt-Besserat "concludes" how the system of written language evolved.

She didn't conclude. The definition of conclude is to "make a judgment or decision". This is too strong. Schmandt-Besserat put forward a "theory". The definition of "theory" is a supposition. Ultimately, I had to choose between what I thought were two bad answers. I chose incorrectly when I chose D instead of A. I would like to know where my reasoning went wrong, and in particular, why the word "conclude" is acceptable?
 Paul Popa
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi LSAT Lover,

Great questions! Let's start with B, C, and E. Yes, you are definitely correct that these answer choices are too strong with words like "confirms" and "resolve." Schmandt-Besserat certainly proposed a theory, but no where does the author state that she is necessarily correct; line 30 uses the word "theorizes" and lines 44-45 use the word "suggests," and these distinctions, while small, are extremely important.

D is indeed incorrect because the tokens did not evolve into modern languages, but rather an ancient writing system.

Thank you for explaining your hesitation with concludes in A, but that word is actually not too strong for what Schmandt-Besserat theorized. Conclude, in this context, ultimately means to arrive at a judgment or opinion by reasoning, and that fits well with what Schmandt-Besserat did according to the author. Remember that conclusions are not necessarily eternal; they can be adjusted or outright withdrawn by their authors with new evidence. Hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.