LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Please post below with any questions!
 LSATstudent2000
|
Hi!

I'm a bit confused as to how the right answer choice, (E), "genera," is pickable here, since, to my knowledge, the formulation "x is too genera" is improper grammatically, and "genera" is defined as the plural of the noun "genus,"

Is the answer choice a typo meant to read "general"?

Thank you!!
 kjeevanjee
|
I made the same mistake at the previous poster.

I was initially attracted to answer choice E, but then I realized that genera was not grammatically correct. I chose answer choice C because permissive could be interpreted to mean that they law wasn't narrow enough. Can you tell me where I went wrong?
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi guys,

Yes, answer choice (E) is meant to read "general," and the printed Preptest 78 does reflect that. So if you got the question wrong because of reading "genera," don't feel bad, it's an issue with the PDF copy.
 ataraxia10
|
I think it's very difficult to distinguish which answer choice is better--C or E. Can you provide me with some insights on how to correctly distinguish the correct answer?
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi ataraxia,

This is difficult because it requires remembering what the question stem is actually referring to, which is the laws themselves, and combining that with the outcome of jury nullification, which is that a defendant would be acquitted despite being factually guilty of the crime for which he was tried. So if the laws were too permissive, the defendant would likely not be factually guilty; instead the laws would be overly broad, and apply to situations where a jury would think that punishment for the defendants' actions would be inappropriate. When reasoned out like this, only (E) fits the bill/Prephrase of laws being too broad for their intended purpose.

Hope this clears things up!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.