LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

bli2016
|
Hi- I am wondering if C would be correct if this was an assumption question as well? I got confused because I knew this was a Justify question, so I thought C was too strong of an answer choice for a Justify question, and chose E instead. Could someone explain how the answer might be different if this was an assumption question? Thank you!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
There's really no such thing as "too strong an answer for a Justify question", bli. The goal of a Justify the Conclusion question is to prove the answer is true. If you prove it and go way beyond the minimum proof needed, you've still proven it, right? If I want to prove that my house is the nicest house in Burbank, I could do that by saying it is the only house in Burbank, or even by saying it is the only house on Earth. "Too strong" is not a problem for Justify questions! It is a problem for Assumption questions, of course.

E doesn't justify the conclusion because we don't know whether any lawyer was told. All that answer does is narrow the requirements for violation of the contract, without telling us anything about whether it actually was violated. E isn't a good Assumption answer, either, because the conclusion that the contract was violated does not assume that the contract was violated - it says it! Assumptions are unstated. What was assumed? C, while it is a Justify answer, also works as an Assumption here. Try the Negation Technique - if SOME lawyer was told, then there is no longer any evidence for the claim that the contract was violated. That wrecks the argument and proves that C is an assumption. Some Justify answers will also work as Assumption answers, some won't.

I also think that the author has assumed that Yeung is the only lawyer in the company's legal department. If that was not the case, then there would again be no evidence that no lawyer was told, wrecking the argument. And once again, that same answer would also justify the argument. Neat, huh?
 bli2016
|
Ah, I did forget about the important distinction between justify and assumption questions here. Thanks for pointing that out, Adam!
 harvoolio
|
Is my understanding correct?

Our conclusion is (after negating the sufficient condition in converting unless to if and taking the contrapositive):

If the company president and any lawyer in the company’s legal department were not told about procedural changes before the changes were made, then the contract was violated.

We are given the premise:

The company president was not told about the procedural changes.

Therefore, to justify the conclusion, we need the other sufficient condition to be satisfied, "Any lawyer in the company was not told about procedural changes before the changes were made." which is answer (B) rephrased.

Thanks.
 Alex Bodaken
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Harvoolio,

You said it perfectly - that is exactly right. I have nothing to add because you nailed it!

Best,
Alex
 harvoolio
|
Thanks Alex.
 queenbee
|
Hi
I think I understand explanation, but just wanted to break it down even more so I can identify this faster on the exam:

The president or any lawyer must be told before the changes were made.

We are justifying the statement that the contract was violated (no if's)

The president was not told
so in order to justify that it was violated, we can infer that no lawyer was told

Is that correct?
Thank you
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
queenbee,

We can't infer, we need to provide, the fact that no lawyer was told. This is a Justify question, not a Must Be True question.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.