LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

kim4
|
Hi,

I am having a horrible time trying to chart Game 9 about the 7 judges who voted for or else against the Datalog Corporation's petition. I read the explanations of the inferences, but that is only serving to make me more confused. Truthfully, I'm not sure where to start with this question. The only inference I have so far is that one liberal judge must have voted for the Datalog, per the second and fourth rule. All 2 liberal judges could not have voted against it, since no conservative could then vote that way and rule 4 says one did. And I get the possible break down of votes, either 2-5 or 3-4.

The book explains that the CCL block must be on the against side, but I don't get why. My chart was:

CCL ---> MM (for both a and f)

Can you explain how to set up this question? This whole section is throwing me for a loop.

Kim
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Kim,

This is a very difficult game, so let's look at why the CCL inference can only occur on the Against side.

First, we know from the scenario that there are only two Cs in the game. Next, the very last rule states that one of those two the Cs voted Against Datalog. Thus, the only place where you can get two Cs voting the same way is on the Against side.

Thus, when you re-diagram the first rule with this information, you get:

..... ..... ..... CCL Against :arrow: MM Against

Then, because of the numerical aspect of the game, since there must always be at least two judges voting For Datalog, that means the other two judges (which are both L), have to vote For Datalog:

..... ..... .....[ CCL Against :arrow: MM Against ] :arrow: LL For

Please let me know if that helps explain this one--it's tricky!

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.