LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Vexans
|
Are there any clues we can look for when diagramming a game that might indicate that using a template will be useful? I see how much it helps to solve this game but I know that this is certainly not true for all games. I am worried that on test day I may waste a lot of time drawing templates that end up not being useful, or more likely, I will attempt a game that benefits from templates without drawing them.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Vexans,

Yes, fortunately there is a list of clues :-D First, go to Lesson 9, page 9-18 and 9-19 to get some background information, and then use the following list for a more complete look:

The following list covers the elements that can help you identify a Limited Solution Set game:

Numerical Limitations
  • 1. A Numerical Distribution.
    2. Either a small number of variables or a small number of available spaces.
    3. A scenario that creates multiple groups and then leaves only one or two spaces available in one or more of the groups.
    4. A game that fixes a significant number of variables and leaves only a few free to move.
Duality
  • 5. A scenario that creates a two-value system, and then uses conditional rules.
    6. A rule that creates duality for any variable, such as, “R must be third or fifth.”
    7. A rule that creates duality for a space, such as, “Either P or Q must be first.”
    8. Games where the linear base is divided in “half,” creating a limited number of spaces on each side.
Overlap Between Rules or Variables
  • 9. A variable that appears in three or more rules.
    10. Multiple rules addressing just a limited number of variables.
    11. A large number of rules.
Power Blocks
  • 12. One or more sizable or unwieldy blocks. The more blocks present, the more likely the number of solutions are limited.
    13. Multiple negative blocks.
    14. A combination of three or more blocks and not-blocks.
Limited Randoms
  • 15. No randoms in the game, or a single random in a game with six or fewer total variables.
That should hopefully get you started!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.