LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Basia W
|
Good afternoon,

I have a question regarding the set up of game 8 on 5-107. The rule states that "She cannot select the H unless she selects the K." Because I saw the "unless" I assumed I should use the unless equation (not H then K) but the answer key simply states it as H then K. Does the equation not apply in logic games?

Thank you for your time,

best,

Basia
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Basia,

Regarding the rule in game 8 on 5-107, you are correct that you should apply the Unless Equation to that rule and any rules involving the terms "unless," "until," "except," and "without" in Logic Games. But remember the steps of the Unless Equation:

1.) Whatever is modified by "unless" is your necessary condition. In this case, K is modified by "unless" so K goes at the end of your arrow (the necessary side of your diagram).

2.) The remaining term is negated before it becomes sufficient. In this case "cannot select H" (in other words: "not H") is the remaining term. To negate it (or take the opposite of it), we remove the "not" so that it becomes H.

So the diagram becomes:

H :arrow: K

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 Basia W
|
Good morning Kelsey,

once again, your explanations make everything more clear- thank you so much! In terms of restricted variables then, I'm guessing that the variable with more freedom and choice dictate where the variable with more restrictions can go.

thank you again,

Best,

Basia

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.