LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

kirstenjm3
|
Hi, I'm wondering if someone can explain to me why question/rule 2 uses a not block and question/rule 5 uses a double not arrow for the variables. Is this difference solely because of the amount of variables present? Could I diagram question/rule 5 using a not block?

Thanks!
 Ron Gore
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Kirsten,

The reason for the difference is that there is no efficient way to diagram the rule "W, X, and Y cannot all be selected together" using a Double-Not Arrow, although you could diagram it using Double-Not Arrows. To do so, you would have to say:

W
+ ..... :arrow: ..... not Y
X

AND

W
+ ..... :arrow: ..... not X
Y

AND

Y
+ ..... :arrow: ..... not W
X

That doesn't make a lot of sense to try to diagram when you can more easily use a Not Block to show that you can't have all three together. Any benefit of using the Double-Not Arrow is overcome by the relative of using the Not Block in this particular instance.

However, for Drill 5, in which the rule is simpler ("R and X cannot be selected together"), the benefits of using the Double-Not Arrow make that diagramming technique the better choice. Most people find that they have an easier time linking conditional rules and gaining inferences using the Double-Not Arrow than Not Blocks for rules such as this.

Please let me know if that helps.

Thanks!

Ron
 kirstenjm3
|
That helps! Thanks, Ron.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.